Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hanukkah Blessings - Second Through Eighth Nights


First Blessing

Borukh Ato Adoynoy Eloyheynu Melekh Ho-oylom Asher Kiddeshonu Be-mitsvoysov Ve-tsivonu Lehadlik Neyr Shel khanuko.

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us by His commandments, and has commanded us to kindle the lights of Hanukkah.

Second Blessing

Borukh Ato Adoynoy Eloyheynu Melekh Ho-oylom She-oso Nissim La-avoseynu Ba-yyomim Ho-heym Ba-zzman Ha-zze.

Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who wrought miracles for our fathers in days of old, at this season.


From About.com.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mimi. And look at all that Hanukkah gelt in the background... Looks like you robbed a pirate ship.

    Have a fun Hannukah!

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lindy, I stole Counterlight's picture, because I liked it better than mine. And a kind visitor corrected me about the blessings, so I did an after-the-fact edit so I wouldn't appear too ignorant. My heart's in the right place.

    I like the gelt. I wish it wasn't only a picture. Perhaps overnight it will become real gelt - you know, a Hanukkah miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time that Hannukah blessings have been a part of my Christmastide celebrations (courtesy of my brother, who converted to Judaism almost 20 years ago). It's a really nice addition to the festivities.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.