Monday, February 16, 2009

David Brooks' Beltway Wisdom

From Glenn Greenwald at Salon:

The New York Times' David Brooks and Gail Collins had an online "conversation" with one another this week, and Brooks did an excellent job of explicitly demonstrating most everything that is relevant -- and destructive -- about the mentality of the standard Beltway journalist (h/t reader jm). In fact, much of what Brooks wrote about what he believes tracks almost completely the discussion I had with Jay Rosen on Bill Moyers' show last week regarding the rot of the American political press. First, there's this from Brooks:
What I’m really annoyed by, though, is the withdrawal of Tom Daschle. What are we, a nation of virgins? . . .

Of course, Obama asked for all this with his cynical promise to ban lobbyists from his administration. There’s a word for lobbyists: experts. Some are sleazy and many are quite admirable, but the idea of trying to run Washington without them is absurd.

To David Brooks, lobbyists are nothing more than "experts" who provide important and helpful insight to legislators as they earnestly try to craft laws in the public interest. Not only are lobbyists a positive influence, but they're actually indispensable. The fact that these so-called "experts" are paid by the wealthiest corporate factions to ensure that the laws Congress passes are designed to serve their narrow, insular interests -- and that this is accomplished by pouring money into the coffers of the very people who write the laws so that they're writing the laws that serve these interests -- never makes it into Brooks' understanding of this process. Thus, he is baffled that anyone would find lobbyist-domination of our political process to be at all objectionable.


David Brooks is no favorite of mine. He's never been. Often, his columns seem incoherent to me, and trying to make sense of them turns my brain into mush. I stopped reading him a long time ago. But he's clear enough in his idiotic description of corporate lobbyists as "experts". Experts in what? In getting legislation passed that will benefit their clients who pay them money. That's where their expertise lies. They may very well know a good deal about the subject of the legislation, but their loyalty is to the clients who pay them.

When former lobbyists serve in the administration of an elected official, how easy is it to completely break away from loyalty to former clients and serve the best interests of the the citizens of the country? I'd wager that it's not easy.

Obama works against the culture of the Beltway. The culture embraces the elected officials, the corporate lobbyists, and the top tier DC press and pundits in a cozy circle. They attend the same dinner and cocktail parties and exchange insider gossip. I doubt that group of press people could function outside the circle, because they've long forgotten how to, you know, gather news. They're well paid, most certainly not of the hungry-reporter species.

My main objection to Tom Daschle was not the tax problem. That can happen to anyone, right? Except if one the little people make a "mistake" of a couple of hundred dollars, the IRS could be on them rather quickly. It's his being part of the corporate lobby culture of cars with drivers, salaries in the millions, etc. that caused me to want him gone. That he actually lobbied for the health care industry seemed significant to me. We must believe him capable of quickly shedding the lobbyist skin and donning the skin of a fierce advocate of ordinary people, who so badly need a fix for health care in the US.

Are we to believe that lobbyists are the only folks with expertise?

Greenwald appeared with Jay Rosen on Bill Moyers Journal. He quotes Rosen:

JAY ROSEN: Well, what doesn't get considered, Bill, is that there could be anything radically wrong with Washington. That the entire institution could be broken. That there are new rules necessary. That idea, that the institutions of Washington have failed and need to be changed, doesn't really occur to the press, because as Glenn said, they're one of those institutions. And they're one of the ones that failed.

Yes.

Read the conversation between David Brooks and Gail Collins at the link. There Brooks exposes the weakness of his brain function from which come the incoherent columns. Obama ruined his honeymoon, folks. Shall we all send him sympathy cards?

I'm grinding my teeth as I write. I'd best end the post while my teeth are intact.

UPDATE: Post edited to clarify that I referred to corporate lobbyists in the post. Thanks to Bruce C, who works for the American Library Association, for reminding me in the comments that not all lobbying is a bad thing.

13 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy it when Barbara O'Brien (aka Maha of Mahablog) would use a graphic of a head of cabbage whenever she discussed Brooks. Lordy, the beltway pundits are a useless lot!

    Do be kind to your teeth, dear Mimi. You never know when you'll need to bite somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That the "Newspaper of Record" pays Brooks big money to write his foolish columns must be one explanation for the decline in readership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about Brooks...but (and I can't believe I'm saying this!) I'm not convinced that lobbyists can't be good Department heads.

    I've worked at HHS long enough to see a curious phenomenon. Most of the program heads are "lifers" (my term, not theirs)---meaning that they are NOT political appointees. They are experts in their fields and most of them are highly educated, intelligent, and dedicated public servants.

    After every election, a new crop of "politicals" comes in, breathing fire and ideology and ready to shake things up. But a funny thing happens--when they are faced, day after day, with the facts on the ground, presented by people who know what they are talking about, the politicals often modify their thinking. That is because most people, when confronted with big problems and real suffering, find that they can't hold on to their ideologies as tightly as they did before they walked through the door.

    Doesn't ALWAYS happen, of course--and I've seen the White House replace people who have "gone native" on more than one occasion. But I offer the insight to say that people often rise above what you think they will do.

    FWIW, I actually think Daschle would have made a good Secretary--I was looking forward to having him as my new "boss." I really don't give a damn whether he had a driver or not--and as a self-employed person, I know how tricky taxes can be (not excusing him, just acknowledging that it is not always as straightforward as it looks). What *I* care about is whether he would increase focus on domestic HIV prevention, support needle exchange programs, etc. I think he would have--and I think he would have worked for the President and the rest of us, rather than his former employers. But, I admit that I could be naive...

    Pax,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doxy, starting with the last point that you make, I have no doubt that Daschle would do better than anyone in the Bush administration, but anyone that Obama appoints will do better.

    Daschle was, IMHO, a rather weak leader in the Senate. He sometimes drove me to distraction, and I wished him out of the leadership. I don't think he's the best one to fight the health-care-for-everyone battle.

    Having said that, I hate the Beltway culture. I believe that it's a poor way to govern. If we had a press that was a real watchdog, then things would be better, but the DC press people are deeply entrenched in the culture.

    I know from insider information, (an excellent source) that the terrible Medicare Part D law was written by Pharma, the lobbying arm of the drug companies. It wasn't written by the legislators or their aides, but by the drug companies' lobbyists.

    I don't want health care legislation written by the lobbyists for the health insurance industry. In truth, I don't see why we need a middle man profiting off the health care of US citizens at all.

    Hating to argue with you today, Doxy dear and sending love and blessings at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Press has a lot to answer for over the last 8 years, especially for their all too willing compliance in the propaganda build up to the invasion of Iraq.
    I think that the press exchanging its role as public watchdog for lapdog of the powerful explains its decline in audience and business a lot. It has lost credibility with most of the public, and the Obama campaign was smart enough to know that and run circles around the High Priests of the Conventional Wisdom. It looks like the White House is doing this again with considerable success, and the official media punditry is too self-absorbed to figure this out.
    What is more, the public now has a huge unprecedented range of alternatives to the Official Media, and can talk back. The internets may well save democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The internets may well save democracy.

    Counterlight, yes. I thought of that as I wrote (and copied) the post. It's not that we don't need newspapers and TV news, for we do. I think of the number of my posts that link to newspapers, magazines, and TV news sites.

    The difference is that many of the DC press and pundits seem to have gone whoring, and the internet, with its growing influence and readership, can call them to account. They are frightened, very frightened of having their privileged positions challenged by the rabble.

    That Obama gets out of DC often is, I believe, a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to defend the big money lobbyists who are hired for their political clout and campaign contributions. But it is simplistic to lump all lobbyists or Washington experts into that group.

    I work for an association that doesn't throw any money into campaigns, but monitors issues relevant for our members, to notify them about what legislation or regulations are being developed. Our lobbyists are experts who work the halls of Congress in order to urge our members to contact their various representatives, make their point of view known, and be actively involved. I don't always agree with the position my employer takes, but I respect the role it plays in urging a more informed coversation.

    In a different way, I am a member of an association, the American Library Association, which takes very strong position against censuring books and media. I am thankful for what ALA has done, having benefitted from being able to read library books that are always being threatened such as gay themed novels and non-fiction. ALA does not have big piles of money to do that, and has lost members because of that position. But it has taken a strong stand because librarians have seen how censuring materials has hurt so many.

    So, as I said to my Mother who picked up the "all lobbyists are evil mantra," be careful because I could lose my job. And so could many other peole who are here in DC defending your rights, your well-being, and your civil liberties.

    Bruce C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce, how about if I say corporate lobbyists? I do not mean the likes of ALA. I am a retired librarian, and I'd advocate for the same causes as your organization. I didn't belong ALA, because I was not paid a huge salary, and the dues were expensive. Perhaps I should have made the sacrifice. I edited my post to clarify that I referred to corporate lobbyists and not lobbying by organizations such as yours. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making the change. I feel like I should have known you are a librarian!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bruce, how would you know? Am I the typical image of the little old lady retired librarian?

    My husband and I are both retired librarians. Ours was a library school romance. He worked in academe, and I worked in the public library. I assure you that neither of us is typical of the image of librarians, retired or working - whatever the image of a librarian is.

    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think any reasonable person would lump the American Library Association in with the likes of the Petroleum Institute or with the many lobbying organizations of the financial industry.

    They are completely different critters. Librarians are a lot less predatory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever worked in a library, Counterlight?!?!?!?

    (Doxy, veteran of 4 years as an assistant at the main Vanderbilt library... ;-)

    That's okay, Mimi! I can hardly believe I was making the argument. But I have seen people put on a new hat and be VERY different from what they had been before. Remember Thomas a Becket... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And, Doxy, what about the predatory patrons of the library? Plus, libraries seem to attract more than their share of people with mental problems. It wasn't all quiet and books.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.