Friday, February 20, 2009

Psychiatric Dinner

A noted psychiatrist was a guest speaker at a dinner where George W. Bush, the recent president, was the honorary chairman. In introducing the psychiatrist, Bush took the opportunity to ask him a question with which the psychiatrist would be at ease.

"Would you mind telling us, doctor," he asked, "how you detect a subtle mental problem or deficiency in somebody who appears completely normal?"

"Nothing is easier," he replied. "You ask a simple question that anyone should be able to answer with no trouble. If the person hesitates, that puts you on the track."

"But how do you know that the person should even know something about that subject?" asked Bush.

"Let me give you an example. There are questions that everybody can answer. For instance, 'Captain Cook made three trips around the world and died during one of them. Which one?'"

Bush thought a moment, and then laughed. "Well, everybody knows from my presidency that I don't know much about history. You wouldn't happen to have another question, would you?"


Has Doug redeemed himself after the Chinese joke?

7 comments:

  1. Well, it is somewhat funny. The Chinese dinner joke not so much. So I'd say yes, he is redeemed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so. I just returned from the market and all of the chickens, ducks and rabbit heads, were "peeking" at me. I think I'm scarred.

    This one is funny, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, the strangest thing I ever saw offered as food in Chinatown in NYC was an armadillo on ice. There was the little critter on his back with his paws in the air.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.