Sunday, May 17, 2009

AWAC Retreat Featured Archbishop Orombi

The Association of Western Anglican Congregations, is now a diocese in the Anglican Church in North American, or ACNA, according to Fr. Bill Thompson. Well, maybe not quite yet. It may instead be poised to become a diocese in ACNA.

DIOCESE OF WESTERN ANGLICANS TO BECOME A REALITY

"Dear Brothers and Sisters, I write this from the Provincial Council meeting in Dallas/Ft. Worth. As of 11:45 a.m. CDT on April 24 the Diocese of Western Anglicans is now a diocese of the Anglican Church in North America. May God's Name be praised. In fact we were the first diocese to be so approved. Please forward this information to your parish's delegation to Western Anglican and to the congregation as a whole. I want you all to know what a privilege it is to be the Collegiate Vicar of Western Anglicans during this exciting time. Your brother in Christ, Fr. Bill Thompson+"


Is it "to become" or "is now"? I report; you decide. Or is it "ever shall be. Amen."

AWAC (I'm guessing at the acronym) sponsored a men's retreat this weekend. The special guest speaker for the retreat was Archbishop Henry Luke Orombi of Uganda. Here's the page showing the schedule and the contact person for the retreat. A reader sent me the link and pointed out that the contact person used the email address from his workplace to do religious business for AWAC. Isn't it rather unusual to use one's workplace email for this sort of religious activity?

15 comments:

  1. More mindblowing:

    There is a active CHURCH and STATE anti-lgbt WITCH HUNT going on, right now, this second, in Uganda...Orombi helped instigate the bloody mess and he´s off doing prayerful plotting with a bunch of overly enthusiastic excluders in Southern California...excluders who have the nerve to name themselves ¨Anglican¨ and ¨Men¨...Anglican they may pretend to be but they are cowards all, especially Henri as he turns his back of LGBT Anglicans greatly suffering back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmere, it looks like we ladies are to be firmly shoved back into the closet. Can you remember when women weren't allowed in the chancel area for any reason? That was a little before my time. When I was growing up we could be choir members, and maybe Altar Guild, if the rector allowed. But certainly NOT an acolyte or lay reader-- Heaven's NO!!. (I've lost count of how many adult women I have trained as acolytes because they didn't get to be one as a girl). Why would any women go along with such a bunch of men is absolutely beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo, I don't get it. Truly, I can't understand the mentality of folks in the present day who look to Orombi for any kind of leadership.

    Elizabeth, I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church, but women were pretty much untouchables there, too. In my lifetime RCC seminaries taught that women were "occasions of sin". Just by being women, we were all temptresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I had forgotten the "occasions of sin" line. Ah, for the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Fred, I remember an Episcopal church that was very Promise Keeper-y. That was at least 6 years before they turned exclusively to the Anglican Orthodox Way!

    I noticed the AWACs burned their sins around a campfire and 'came to Jesus' again.

    Didn't that acronym use to be some sort of military group or plane?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I thought it was and looked it up. It stands for serious stuff, but the ones I liked the best are"

    Afghanistan Without a Clue (blog)

    Acolytes Without A Cause (gaming clan)

    Amateur with A Camera


    Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha, Mimi! I also found "AWAC - Airborne Warning and Control"

    I knew there was a military angle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was master of acolytes in my parish, I had special 'ladies only' Saturday classes for the moms of our new girls. The anger and pain that came out as they finally were taught how to serve at the alter was amazing.

    I am wondering, does AWAC have Joint Operating Board between so its laity and bishops can meet? I mean doesn't A-WAC-JOB just have a ring to it?

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim, not only a ring. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Jim, you are the most clever. I vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my - AWAC. I thought of the Airborne Warning system immediately, glad I put down my mug of chamomile! Jim, of course, has put the icing on the cake. Laughter in Virginia...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A WAC was a woman in the Army in the olden days. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.