Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Birthday, Gayle!


Today is my sister Gayle's birthday and also the 3rd anniversary of her memorial service after she died of pancreatic cancer. The picture above is a favorite of both my brother-in-law, Frank, and me.

In Gayle's honor, a wealthy friend set up The Dillenkoffer Endowment.

The Dillenkoffer Endowment was formed to support gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered teens with college tuition grants in Kansas and Missouri.

Gay teens across the country continue to face personal and academic challenges unlike those faced by their straight classmates. In addition to challenges at school, many face rejection by their families and the community at large as well as religious persecution. Even violence is not uncommon. Statistics show gay teens are more likely to abuse substances, drop out of school, run away from home, be involved in prostitution and attempt suicide.

The Dillenkoffer Endowment's mission is to:

* recognize and reward gay teens who are able to succeed in the face of personal and academic challenges;

* help them achieve even greater success through higher education; and

* provide them with the tools to be role models to others as they become young adults.


If you would like to learn more about the endowment or make a donation, click on the link above or scroll down and click on the dark blue plaque on the right sidebar.

Earlier today, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read the words below from the Lectionary reading from Wisdom. They are so right and true for me today.

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died,
and their departure was thought to be a disaster,
and their going from us to be their destruction;
but they are at peace.
For though in the sight of others they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself;
like gold in the furnace he tried them,
and like a sacrificial burnt-offering he accepted them.
In the time of their visitation they will shine forth,
and will run like sparks through the stubble.


Wisdom 3:1-9

Below is a picture of Gayle at a party in her tuxedo-like outfit. By chance, we both bought very similar outfits of this type some years ago. She loved a party and liked the idea that the Mexican-Americans and Mexicans (along with a good many folks of non-Mexican heritage) in the US celebrated on her birthday. Today Grandpère and I will celebrate her life at a Cinco de Mayo party at a local Mexican Restaurant.

27 comments:

  1. Isabelle shares Gayle's birthday and we enjoy Mexican food on this day, except I have to cook it. Izzie and I wish you a happy Gayle's birthday. I do like that passage from Wisdom also. What an appropriate one for this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your continuing tributes to Gayle bespeak great love. Those are wonderful photos and I am so glad you shared them with us. May she rest in peace and rise in glory - and may the Dillenkoffer Endowment continue to empower young persons. Happy celebrating!

    Paul the BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous woman! And yes, Mimi, the reading is perfect. I see the love in her eyes! As Paul says, may she rest in peace and rise in Glory!
    Happy birthday to all the Cinco de Maya folks. Padre Mickey, the lovely Mona, the boys, and I will be eating falafel at The Holy Land. We will remember you and yours I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunner! No doubt she's doing high kicks in heaven. I hope you'll be doing the same on earth Mimi.

    Here's to the girls who change our lives with laughter and love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Isabelle!

    Thank you all for your lovely words, my friends.

    I miss Gayle so much still. We communicated nearly every day, either through email or on the phone. I told her things that I would not tell anyone else in the world, not even Grandpère. Now there is no one to whom I speak those words, and no one will ever take her place.

    Ostrich, your comment gave me a jolt, because Gayle was a dancer. She pursued her avocation of lessons and group performances through her late teen years, and although she was not a professional in her adult life, she always loved to dance. And she kicked high!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG
    Those poor New Orleans boys didn't stand a chance when you two were on the town together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I almost fell out of my chair again. A comment from HRH, King of Mad English Cleric Bloggers!

    Gayle and I left our mark in New Orleans, and our respective husbands didn't stand a chance when we got together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely woman, Mimi. I can't imagine how I'd cope if I lost my sister. (Fortunately, she's younger has healthier life habits than I. ;-) My heart goes out to you this day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As gorgeous as her sister. I think I'll go telephone MY sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lost my two younger sisters. I was the eldest. My youngest sister had a tragic, messed-up life. She drifted in and out of our lives, sometimes for years without contact. When she died, we had not heard from her for three years. We got the news that she was dying the day before, and we did not make it to see her while she was still alive.

    I'm very sorry about her hell of a life, but I don't miss her the way I miss Gayle, because she was out of our lives so much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Lisa and SusanKay for your beautiful words.

    I got carried away, as I do from time to time, with the thought that it's not right that my two younger sisters are gone, and I am still here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimi, I don't believe you got carried away. It's a true and legitimate pain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (And, unlike MP, I promise never to use those words against you. ;-)

    I sometimes quip that our parents raised my sister and me as orphans. Living within 90 miles of her now (for the first time since 1973) is one of the few things that keeps me in Missouri [a state you can pronounce either as "mizzooruh" of just "misery"].

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many thoughts and prayers for Gayle - who must have been one extraordinary woman.

    And for you - who is one extraordinary woman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is another Episcopal endeavor in the Diocese of Kansas in this regard to which my mom, and in memory of my mom, there is a connection. I can't come up with the name. Can you? What is the name of that place? (I'm searching the archives right now and am having trouble finding the name of the college.) It's a P.E.O. thing, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, you're always right, aren't you?

    I don't think that I could live in Mizzooruh. I like living near a coast. The heartland triggers something like claustrophobia.

    Fran, Gayle was quite a woman. You make me blush.

    Scott, I'm afraid I can't help you. What's a P.E.O.?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Philanthropic and Educational Organization -- focus on helping to provide access to higher education to women.

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://www.cottey.edu/home/home/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, Mimi. I most certainly am not! Surely you know that by now.

    And I find it difficult to speak of this region as anything like the "heartland." Way too many LCMS, Calvinists, and conservative RCs for that to be the case.

    Scott, you can find P.E.O. info here. They support Cottey College in Nevada, Missouri, just along the westernmost boundary with Kansas. Is this the group you were thinking of?

    I have a funny connection with PEO. I -- I! -- received a small scholarship from them back in 1973, as I headed off to a small liberal arts college (in Texas). It was a tiny scholarship in today's economy, but back then it represented 10% of a year's tuition. I don't even remember why I qualified, but the one requirement was that I attend a "tea" -- yes, a tea! -- with the ladies, at which I was given the check. I think I was the only one who had to go out and buy white gloves specially for the occasion.

    My oh my, we certainly are walking down memory lane this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa,

    heh. i just said that. (giggle)

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, I saw that, Scott. But I said it with hyperlinks and a story. ;-) You were posting while I was researching and reminiscing.

    BTW, until I found that URL, I believed what I was told in 1973: that "PEO" stood for "Protect Each Other." Imagine my surprise to learn -- as Susankay posted here -- that it's the Philanthropic and Educational Organization. Who knew??

    How in the world did we survive ante-Google?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, thanks for the explanation. I see you've settled it amongst yourselves without help from me. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! This is becoming a bit like an OCICBW thread ... where the inmates are taking over the asylum. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I should be so lucky. Gayle is loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Late to the party (per usual), but Feliz Cumpleanos en Paradiso, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.