Friday, May 15, 2009

Touissaint's Renaissance Rolls On

From Lagniappe in the Times-Picayune:

Allen Toussaint's post-Katrina renaissance rolls on.

Ever since his 1958 debut "The Wild Sound of New Orleans" -- released under the name Tousan -- he has recorded only sporadically. He earned his place in the Rock 'n 'Roll Hall of Fame by writing and producing hits for other artists.

But his national profile as a performer in his own right has never been higher, thanks in large part to "The River in Reverse." The acclaimed 2006 collaboration with Elvis Costello revived Toussaint's touring career and reintroduced him as a contemporary recording artist. His new, genteel "The Bright Mississippi" (Nonesuch Records), while much different, should only enhance that reputation.


This one is instrumental, with the exception of one song, but it's nice, really nice.

...With the notable exception of trumpeter Nicholas Payton, Henry did not employ New Orleans musicians; instead, he assembled an ace modern jazz band in a New York studio. And rather than record Toussaint compositions, they revisited classic jazz standards -- a decision that seems, at first glance, counterintuitive.

But the utterly enchanting result is as New Orleans as the wrought iron balconies of the French Quarter, similarly intricate and sturdy, and equally impressive up close or at a distance.


So, of course, I had to buy it. It has a song dedicated to MadPriest titled "Winin' Boy Blues". The mad blogger from England knows EVERYONE in the music business.

Over the decades, Toussaint's best work has often been in support of others. Tellingly, "The Bright Mississippi" is not a piano showcase per se. But in collaboration with Henry, Payton and the rest, he is once again at the center of a whole that is far greater than its considerable parts. "The Bright Mississippi" is a highlight of an already remarkable career.

At this very moment, I am backing up my music collection, which grows and grows. I should have done it long ago. I hope the process works. I'm always doubtful when I try new things on the tubes.

6 comments:

  1. Mimi, I'm in the process of downloading the album from itunes after listening to a few bits. Just my kind of music. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia, glad you liked it. I'm listening to it right now. It's good, very good, groovin' good.

    I'm at "Closer Walk". It's amazing. The piano and the clarinet are gorgeous together.

    Whoo! I had to have a replay of it.

    Whoa! Sounds like an orgasm. Well, I'm close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mimi, one more "Whoa!" and it would have been the breaker anointing! Whoo! Whoa! Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, did you get that I like the song?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that Joshua Redman is playing on one song. He went to Berkeley High during the years that Dave (my son the priest!) was there. He is really a good sax player!(Joshua, not Dave)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.