Tuesday, June 23, 2009

FCA Acting Out In England

Read Adrian Worsfold at Pluralist Speaks to see what the Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans is up to in England. In truth I've lost my way in distinguishing amongst the identities and character of the various groups who are displeased not only with the Episcopal Church, but the Church of England, the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian), and the Church in Wales(?) and want to establish some sort of alternative structure in Britain. FCA was, or is, sometimes known as FOCA, which is an extension of GAFCON, scheduled a series of (unfortunate?) events "over there".

I left a comment which Adrian has not moderated through yet. I said this or something close to it:

"What's sauce for the goose.... I'm trying to restrain myself from schadenfreude. However, I realize that it's possible that no matter what Rowan would have said or done in the last couple of years, the groups intent on division would have proceeded with their plans. If the ABC did not see the incursions coming in England, I surely did."

After all, the Church of England is the jewel in the crown of the Anglican Communion.

7 comments:

  1. The biggest tragedy in the church of my birth is not that evangelicals or liberals are accusing each other of schism. The biggest tragedy is that the rapidly shrinking C of E is still resolutely turned inwards, as is obvious by the agenda items at the upcoming General Synod.

    While General Synod (on the one hand) and FCA (on the other) are busy rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, no one seems to be asking the really important question: why don't ordinary rank and file Christians in the C of E seem to be excited enough about Jesus to want to spread his gospel to their neighbours? Because unless someone starts a major movement in that direction pretty soon, the attendance figures are going to keep going down, and in a few years the whole discussion will be seen to have been academic.

    A better use of the time that General Synod is taking up in internal administrivia, and that FCA is taking to set up an alternative structure, would be to prayerfully examine these statistics and come up with some sort of strategy to address them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, you may be right in a lot of what you say. Of course, you know a lot more about the CofE than I do. The agenda for Synod looks pretty boring and irrelevant.

    Having said that, I would be a very bad fit in an evangelical church. If that was all that was available in my area, I'd probably stay home with my prayer book and my Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pluuuuuuuuleaaaase!! or is it Police?!?

    The Episcopal Church has NEVER BEEN an Evangelical Church,...and with God's Grace, ..Never will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi,
    For several months here I have struggled with trying to keep up and be informed. I am losing the struggle and am smothered by the alpha-abbreviations. I am staying home some with BCP and Bible.

    That said: On a very positive note DH was ordained as a deacon on Saturday by our favorite Bishop! The Right Reverend Michael Curry ordained three new deacons in our diocese. We continue to "Keep the Faith" as Bishop Curry encourages.
    amyj

    ReplyDelete
  5. David G., I hope that TEC does not come to be an evangelical church. There is room for a broad range of views in TEC, and that's one of the things that I love about it.

    Amy, congratulate DH on his ordination for me, please. I suppose that you know that I met Bishop Michael at Doxy's wedding. He's wonderful. "Keep the faith" is what I try to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAs it a comment of mine that caused the agitation about being an 'evangelical church'? If so, I'm not quite sure what it was I said...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim, I believe that it was more my comment than yours that started the "agitation".

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.