Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Letter On The Secret Sub-Committee

Dear Bishop Parsley and members of The Committee on Theology,

As I understand it, the names of the members of sub-committee to study same-sex relationships are secret. Where is the openness and transparency in this policy? Why are the names of the members secret? This should not be. I believe that you, as leaders in the Episcopal Church, made a grave miscalculation in your decision not to release the names of the members of the sub-committee. I understand and agree that the deliberations may be confidential until the report is delivered, but not the names of the members.

And why the need for another study and committee? The subject has been studied and committeed to death already. Is this sub-committee another delaying tactic by the church leadership to keep from making a decision to move forward to include all baptized members in the full life of the Episcopal Church?

As for the suggestion that "academic freedom" is in play in withholding the names of the committee members, that seems nonsensical to me. Academic freedom has to do with openness and transparency, not secrecy. I hope that you give thought to reversing your policy of withholding the names of the members of the sub-committee.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Yours in Christ,

June Butler


I sent the letter to all of the members of the Committee on Theology with copies to others in leadership positions in the Episcopal Church listed in this post.

9 comments:

  1. Good on you G.M. Oooo, just noticed those initials, and glad you are feeling well and chipper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobias and JohnieB, thanks. I'm feeling much more chipper since I sent my letter. It's been several days since I urged others to do so, and I was a little slow to keep my end of the bargain. Now my conscience is no longer nagging me. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent more, yesterday I protested and received one reply.

    Insult to injury and the very idea that ++KJS approves of this type of avoidance or review of her earlier judgement/conniving is very damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first reaction was to send the message the Mad One posted to our local bishops who have assured me they are not on board with it and are learning more. I've just sent the message bellow to episcopallife online. It is time for ++KJS to do the right thing.



    Message to episcopallife online:

    The need for additional "study," after years of such endeavors, both within and without the church, by clandestine members of a sub-committee would appear to be the stuff of ecclesiastical nonsense and has little, if anything, to do with being an Easter people to a world in need.

    While we dither, those around us in western cultures find us increasingly irrelevant, but even worse, glbt individuals find themselves in harm's way in cultures where the Anglican Communion has abrogated its Gospel call.

    Meanwhile, we must protect the identify of those "studying" same-gender relationships? I feel as if I've fallen through the looking glass.

    I am embarrassed for us as a church and disappointed in the apparent lack of leadership by the Presiding Bishop.

    Kyrie Eleison

    Kevin Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  5. KJ, excellent.

    I sent a copy of my letter to my bishop, too, along with the folks at 815.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good. let's keep up the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still pondering because all I can think is: Shame on you. Or: J'accuse.

    Not terribly eloquent yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go G'mere Mimi, KJ too!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.