Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thought For The Day

Why is it that people who continually spew forth hate-filled rhetoric are suddenly surprised when other people become angry and commit violent acts against those to whom their hate-filled rhetoric was directed?

The speakers then back away and say, "Oh, I didn't mean that!"

My thought for the day was inspired by this article in the Huffington Post by Frank Shaeffer, who was, in his own words, "both a leader of the so-called pro-life movement and a part of a Republican Party hate machine masquerading as the moral conscience of America."

Schaeffer says:

Like many writers of moral/political/religious theories my father and I would have been shocked that someone took us at our word, walked into a Lutheran Church and pulled the trigger on an abortionist. But even if the murderer never read Dad's or my words we helped create the climate that made this murder likely to happen.

Schaeffer appeared on Rachel Maddow's show last night. Here's the link to the video.

Thanks to John for sending me the link to the HP article.

6 comments:

  1. I read the article and watched the video. I'm impressed with Frank Shaeffer. I was so angry watching O'Reiley on the video that I almost turned it off. Glad I watched it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can stand to watch O'Reilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good video with brilliant Rachel and brave Schaeffer. A very courageous thing for them to do!

    And a very interesting synthesis connecting all the dots; racism, mysogyny, hate as a political tool.

    The bits with the radical right would have been hilarious had they not been so scaring. Hope the Minnesota Senator is proven true in her hope that the GOP will understand what's at stake and back down.

    Thank you Mimi for showing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid that the hate mongers on the right won't back down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. If I hadn't see this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. He makes the point so many of us have tried to make for years. Well done. Thanks for printing this here, Mimi. I think I'm actually going to be able to sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, I agree. Last night, I listened to Schaeffer on Rachel's show with my jaw dropped.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.