Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Guardian Angel


PIETRO DA CORTONA - "The Guardian Angel"

Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this day,
be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.



At the Close of Day - Collect

Visit this place, O Lord, and drive far from it all snares of the enemy; let your holy angles angels dwell with us to preserve us in peace; and let your blessing be upon us always; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer - p. 140)


Image from The Web Gallery of Art.

12 comments:

  1. Bless you and your guardian angels, Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, it's the way I was brung up - angels all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your guardian angel has to take a lot of medication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MadPriest, not at all. I assure you that my angel would rather be busy than bored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy? Even I, a Church of England priest, sympathise with your guardian angel's pay and conditions! I can imagine him thinking _ "Why didn't I listen to my mother when she told me never to work with children and animals?!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. You have to admit that your particular children and animals seem to flirt with disaster far more than what a bog-standard guardian angel has to put up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. I thought this conversation was all about me.

    Did you know that June Tabor was a librarian just like me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She may have been a librarian but "just like you" stretches the imagination somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that was what the "Wounded Bird" title referred to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one noticed the misspelling of "angels" in the post. The word is misspelled in the online version of the BCP from which I copied and pasted, and I didn't catch the mistake.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.