Friday, October 23, 2009

Ironic God Or No God But Irony


Adrian at Pluralist Speaks is indefatigable in producing parodies on the current Romish/Anglican drama, which is, in itself, close to parody and thus a fertile field. His latest is titled "New Catholic Anglican Church".

Today the Archbishop of Anglicanism, Rowan Tree, and his Brother-in-Faith, Archbishop to Angles and Saxons, Vince Hill, issued a joint statement of ecstatic welcome to a new papal decree setting up another Anglican Church this time inside Roman Catholicism. However, at a press conference held later, the Archbishop of Anglicanism added, "The way I'm feeling, the way I am treated by those who are, apparently, my lot, I might not be the last in line to sign on and sign in."
....

The Apostolic Constitution sets up lots of buildings called Cottages with male only toilets. The urinals will be personal ordinary ones. In the main halls, men in funny costumes and newly washed clerical collars will be able to gather and say Anglican things while actually having a picture of the Pope up above. They'll even be able to have seminary Cottages for new Roman Anglican devotees.

Do read the rest. I warned Adrian that I may need to turn him in to the inquisitors, if he continues with his wickedness, but he pays me no mind as I see that he's already posted again - twice! - in defiance of my warning.

The exchange below in the comments to the post stays in my mind, so here it is to ponder if you like:

Blogger Gene Shinai said...

Adrian, When I first read about the Catholic overture. I wondered if Priestly Celibacy might not be at risk. Apparently I'm not the only one thinking this way:

Liberalise the Catholics by bringing in the conservative Anglicans. Surely there is no God but Irony. (My emphasis)
-------

Blogger Pluralist (Adrian Worsfold) said...

My view too. There is no God but [there is] irony.
-------

Blogger Grandmère Mimi said...

"Liberalise the Catholics by bringing in the conservative Anglicans. Surely there is no God but Irony."

Irony there, all right, Gene. On the other hand, could it be that irony is one of the attributes of God?

Gene's quote is apt and, at least to me, hilarious. The parties on both sides may want to contemplate bit more the long-term consequences of Rome's offer, before rushing into action.

For what it's worth, I move past both Gene's and Adrian's thoughts to my own faith in God and my own, no doubt, skewed concept of that God. I believe that it's quite possible that irony is an attribute of God. Why not?

Note: I simplified Gene's link above to the piece in the New York Times, which is worth a read.

“Now we’re opening up a whole structure within the Latin rite, within the Western rite, which will allow married priests to function,” said Thomas Reese, a senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University and a liberal Catholic commentator.

Father Reese raised a series of intriguing hypothetical questions: Would unmarried Anglican priests who want to become Catholic priests have to take a vow of chastity? (The answer is presumably yes.) Could a Catholic man convert to Anglicanism, be ordained as an Anglican priest, then rejoin the Catholic Church under the new Anglican rite? (The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, dismissed that idea as “a trick.”)

And we all know that trickiness has never been an attribute of the powers nor of the hoi polloi in Christianity.

Image by Adrian. He titles it "benny+mitre".

UPDATE: In the comments, Ann notes that Adrian has a great piece at the Episcopal Café, titled "The Failed Ecclesiology of Rowan Williams". I've already visited and left a comment.

15 comments:

  1. He has a great piece on Episcopal Cafe today too here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks. I added an update to my post. I've read the piece and left a comment already. It's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hurt that you missed this at Simple Massing Priest:

    with apologies to both Simon and Garfunkel.


    It’s an Apostolic Constitution,
    the perfect made-in-Rome solution,
    mmm
    where ritual will not be bland
    and women priests would all be canned
    and independent thought is banned
    by Benny – it’s a one man band

    Romeward bound
    I wish I was
    Romeward bound
    Rome, where my thoughts escaping
    Rome, where my music’s playing
    Rome, where the Pope lies waiting
    Silently for me

    A personal ordinariate
    Tridentine mass, imagine that
    mmm
    and Cardinal Newman’s Oratory
    the incense and the rosary
    the pious pomp of liturgy
    reminds me that I long to be

    Romeward bound
    I wish I was
    Romeward bound
    Rome, where my thoughts escaping
    Rome, where my music’s playing
    Rome, where the Pope lies waiting
    Silently for me

    Tonight I’ll sing my songs again
    Ill play the game and pretend
    mmm
    But all my words come back to me
    In shades of mediocrity
    Like emptiness in harmony
    I need someone to comfort me

    Romeward bound
    I wish I was
    Romeward bound
    Rome, where my thoughts escaping
    Rome, where my music’s playing
    Rome, where the Pope lies waiting
    Silently for me
    Silently for me
    Silently for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malcolm, what can I say? I'm sorry! I will rectify my omission. Do you want a link, or do you want me to post the whole damned masterpiece? It's wonderful - a theme song for those journeying across the Tiber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it, Malcolm, and was charmed, especially since I am an old Simon and Garfunkel fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Had to comment on the ironic God idea. I have had similar thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nomad, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that God has a sense of irony. Of course, I could be wrong.

    Thanks for visiting and leaving a few words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Apostolic Constitution sets up lots of buildings called Cottages with male only toilets.

    Oh, Adrian! Is that a reference to the ancient practice of some Anglo-Catholic priests of the CofE - vis a vis "cottaging?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. The really interesting issue to me is this: Everyone knows that many of the Anglo-Papalist clergy in the CoE are closeted misogynists. Will the Vatican decide that group's aversion to girl "cooties"--and the ability to shore up its dwindling cadre of priests--are sufficient reasons to ignore the Pink Elephant and take all those closeted Anglo-Catholic priests?

    Put another way---will B16 ignore his own decrees about no homo priests, because they are "objectively disordered," in order to cock a snook at the Anglicans?

    Pax,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark, I'll let Adrian answer your question. I put nothing past him.

    Doxy, I wondered, too, about the vetting process to screen out the Anglican gays, since gay men are not accepted into RC seminaries.

    And the only Anglican bishops who can become Roman bishops are the unmarried bishops. Think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first thought was of +Urwin---but I doubt he'd go unless the RCC can steal Walsingham... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I doubt that Urwin will go, Doxy, and unless I'm missing a lot, he's been pretty quiet lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to use that quote: "There is no God but irony." Does it originate here?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nomad, so far as I know, the phrase orginated with Gene Shinai in Pluralist's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks.
    Hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.