Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Where We Ate In Beautiful Jefferson Parish


A couple of weeks ago after my first cataract surgery, I was pretty exhausted and still freaked out afterward, but I was hungry, since I'd been fasting all day. We stopped for a quick meal at Dot's Diner, where I had a delicious BLT sandwich. I noted that the diner had a lovely, old-fashioned breakfast menu.

After the second surgery, which went so well and I was calm and not freaked out afterward, we wanted oysters. We made our way to Drago's Seafood Restaurant, pictured above, one of THE places for oysters in beautiful Jefferson Parish. (Heh, heh.)

As an appetizer, we shared a half dozen charbroiled oysters, one of the restaurant's better-known dishes. Grandpère was not satisfied and ordered another half dozen. I made a trip to the ladies, and when I returned, the dish has arrived, and GP had eaten five out of the six oysters. Thanks a lot, my love! Nevermind. More food was on the way.

I ordered Oysters Herradura:

Shrimp Oysters sautéed with sun dried tomatoes,
pine nuts, and onions, deglazed with tequila and
seasoned to perfection. Served with a grilled
portabella mushroom.


GP ordered:

Fried Oyster Lunch
Served with French Fries, Vegetable & Salad


For dessert, I ordered crème bruleé. The meal was quite satisfying. It was the only meal that I had that day, but it was enough.

We spent the night with my daughter, since I had an early morning doctor's appointment for a check that all was well. I remembered the breakfast menu at Dot's Diner, and we headed to their River Ridge location for breakfast before the appointment. I had Dot's in mind from the night before and made sure that we were up in time to break our fast there. Wise move. Dot does a good breakfast.




Photo of Drago's at the head of the post from Bon Vivant.

9 comments:

  1. I love oysters, and am glad you got to enjoy some at Drago's.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oysters, too, including you, m'dear. I tasted a few of the raw variety from my stash for oyster dressing, and they were delish.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In New Orleans they are pronounced ersters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ormonde! Don't you understand? I was in Jefferson, where the cultural elite live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what the heck did you have for breakfast? I hope it wasn't oysters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mickey, I had an egg over light, pancakes, bacon (fried just right!), good coffee, and orange juice. My mouth is watering. I could eat breakfast right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how come the Oysters Herradura lack oysters as an ingredient? Or is this one of those Louisiana jokes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good question, Paul (A.) The oyster dish was not posted online, but the ingredients for the dish are the same, but for the shrimp. I meant to substitute oysters for shrimp when I posted, but, obviously, I forgot. Leave it to a lawyer to catch the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, like all before me here, love oysters, and it sounds like they were delish!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.