Saturday, December 5, 2009

Equality Over Conscience?

From a link at Thinking Anglicans, the title of a post by Archbishop Cranmer at Cranmer leaped out at me:

EU forces Government to put gay equality over Christian conscience

The writer lists references from the Hebrew and Christian Testaments and from the Qur’an which are presumed to forbid same-sexuality and bemoans the loss of England's national sovereignty to the European Union. You can read it all at the link.

As I said in the comments to the post:

The title of the post caught my attention from the link at Thinking Anglicans.

"EU forces Government to put gay equality over Christian conscience"

Why did the headline startle me? Because I rather foolishly believe that the Christian conscience would compel one to support gay equality. If you think same-sexuality is wrong, then refrain from the act. It's not as though the EU is forcing same-sexuality on anyone.

I doubt that God cares more about national sovereignty than about fair and equal treatment of human beings. It seems to me that the secular EU has become the Christian conscience of England.

An excerpt from the rebuttal to my comment:

D. Singh said...

Madam,

It is sad to read a note from, presumably a Christian such as yourself support a measure which is destructive of the church in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Again, you may read the full response at the link.

I answered:

Sir, if the church groups keep themselves free from employing LGTB persons, will the communities then be pure and undefiled? Are there none employed in the church communities who have transgressed? Are none guilty of any of the seven deadly sins?

Pride
Covetousness
Lust
Anger
Envy
Gluttony
Sloth

There is no such entity as a pure church. The church is for sinners. "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick."

I don't expect that I shall turn you around to my way of thinking, nor will you convince me that your way is right. I commented here simply because I was truly startled by the title of the post. The seeming dissonance in the phrasing jumped out at me.

Peace to you in this season of hope and expectancy as we await the celebration of the coming of Our Lord to dwell amongst us.

The response:

D. Singh said...

Madam,

Because some in the church commit those seven sins is not a justification to add another.

There you have it. I'm not one to continue with an endless argument in which I am close to certain that no minds or hearts will be changed, therefore I'm done. From that number of comments to the post (73, so far), I conclude that the blog is popular, with comments from both conservatives and progressives alike. I suppose that I don't get around enough.

7 comments:

  1. Grandmere --you get around just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impossible to change the minds of people whose minds are so closed but I still think we need to keep banging on their doors to try to get them to open up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "some in the church commit those seven sins"? Some? D. Singh and I must be reading different Bibles or living on different planets. Mine is pretty clear that we are all guilty. Hard to imagine anyone who hasn't checked off some, if not most, of these very broad and inclusive seven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Add another"? There are now eight deadly sins? Tell me who is reading [into] scripture that which is not there?

    We are encouraged to "test everything". Not everyone is up to the task. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pfalz prophet, yes. And then there were eight.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.