Thursday, January 14, 2010

THE ANDERSON/EASLEY PROJECT


St. John's Episcopal Church in Thibodaux hosts a community music program called (surprise!) Music at St. John's. Sunday last, while Amelia and Izzie napped, I attended a concert by the members of the Anderson/Easley Project. The program description:

The Anderson/Easley Project is a jazz trio featuring David Anderson on bass and Dave Easley on pedal steel guitar and Tom Chute on drums The group performs original music of many genres including free jazz, funk, bop, and minimalist and many wonderfully unique approaches to dynamics and expression.

The trio displayed fine musicianship. I heard jazz, bop, blues, and...and..."unique approaches to dynamics and expressions", which means that I don't know how to label the rest of the pieces. When the musicians launched into their solos, their skills were notable. I can't give you titles, because either I didn't hear them or I've forgotten them, because the names were not in the program. One of the pieces was, I believe, a tribute to Gustav, the cat.

The picture at the head of the post is Anderson's bass, the likes of which I have never seen before. The fingerboard was rescued from a bass that was found floating after Katrina and the federal flood, the only usable part of the drowned instrument, and the board was built into a new instrument. During parts of the performance, Anderson played the bass beautifully with a bow, like a cello.



Pictured above is Dave Easley's pedal steel guitar. I'd never seen an instrument like his before, either. Dave is also the vocalist for the group.

The trio of performers are in the photo above with Easley, Anderson, and Chute from left to right.


In the photo above are the drums and the beautiful hammered cymbals, which look like brass, but are made of alloys and are incredibly lightweight and flexible.

During the concert, I was as fascinated by the instruments as by the music, and I made a point of getting pictures and close-up views.

Anderson/Easley Project performs regularly on Sundays at 9 p.m. at Madigan's and other venues in New Orleans and tours, also.

Reviews of the group and individual members performances may be found at JamBase.

12 comments:

  1. Margaret, the concert was a trip. The wonderful skills of the musicians carried me through the unfamiliar musical styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That electric bass is something! They look so nice in their Tuxes! Are you going to Nola to see them again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bass! Wow! I would love to have seen it up close. I have seen a steel guitar like that , but never a bass of that kind before! (I love jazz too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I'd like to one day, but, in truth, I have no one from here who wants to go with me to listen to music in New Orleans. My friends who once lived in NO now live north of Lake Pontchartrain.

    Ciss, isn't the instrument a beauty? I like so much that Anderson made the nearly drowned fingerboard a part of the new bass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it was a great concert. Glad you got to go, and thanks for sharing your photos. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great photos when do you plan to have another concert ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindy, if my house guests had not decided that they must have a nap, I might not have gone. I invited Amelia to go, but she said she was tired.

    Jukeboxes Expert, our next concert is on March 14, 2010, at 3:00 PM and will feature the New Orleans Uptown Brass. I look forward to hearing the group.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I napped, although it would have been nice if I had gone along, but that's water under the dam. Nice to see the photos larger. The instruments are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amelia, you and Izzie needed your naps.

    I don't know how you drove 14 hours on your last day, but I understand about wanting to sleep in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The concert featured Tom Chute on drums, not Ton Chote as stated in the review. Tom is a professional drummer who plays with many different musicians in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Anonymous. Tom's name was spelled wrong in the program. I made a correction.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.