Saturday, February 6, 2010

BLIZZARD IN MID-ATLANTIC

From Reuters:

A blizzard producing heavy snow and powerful winds pummeled the U.S. mid-Atlantic on Saturday, causing at least two fatalities and paralyzing travel in the region.

Snowfall totals of 20 to 30 inches (51 to 76 cm) are forecast from Virginia to southern New Jersey by Saturday evening when the storm is expected to move out to sea.

Up to 28 inches 71 cm) of snow had fallen by 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT) in suburban Washington, D.C. Local weather forecasters said the storm could bring the heaviest snowfall in 90 years to the Washington area.

The National Weather Service declared a 24-hour blizzard warning for the Washington-Baltimore region until 10 p.m. EST Saturday/0300 GMT Sunday.

Winds were strong, especially along the mid-Atlantic coast, with gusts recorded up to 40 mph (64 kph).

Elizabeth Kaeton is at her cottage at Rehoboth Beach and lost power for a while, but now has electricity once again. Read all about her adventures at Telling Secrets.

Pray for those who have lost power or in in any kind of trouble during the severe weather.

From JimB:

That is not tears of concern in my eyes -- nasty infection. I am getting treatment but as a diabetic, I am only terrified when something threatens my sight. Prayers gratefully accepted.

FWIW
jimB

6 comments:

  1. Mimi, We had an official measurement of 25 inches in my neighborhood. My husband thought that was about right, for it came to his upper thigh while he was shoveling.

    The Bishop is to make his annual visit tomorrow, and I understand there is to be church. I think it is questionable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, that's a lot of snow. I wouldn't even try to make church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little old New York seems to have barely dodged the bullet. We had only a dusting of snow today while Philadelphia and parts of New Jersey had almost 27 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JimB -- as someone who lives to read -- even the thought of eye problems would terrify me as well. Prayers for you indeed. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you, Counterlight. Blizzards are one reason why I live in the South.

    Prayers for quick healing of your eye infection, Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.