Sunday, March 28, 2010

HYDE PARK

 

When I visited my friend Ginnie in Connecticut, we rode to Hyde Park, the home of President Franklin Roosevelt. The gardens and grounds at Hyde Park are lovely. The picture above shows color from turning leaves. I understand why FDR said of Hyde Park:

"All that is within me cries out to go back to my home on the Hudson River"


 

Above is my friend Ginnie, sitting on one of the benches that are part of the bronze sculpture of Eleanor and Franklin that is outside the Visitor's Center. The figures are slightly larger than life-size, and I found them a bit spooky because, except for the color, they were quite life-like. Even when I look at the photos, I'm a little freaked out. Strange.


 

There I am. Franklin has his arm around me, which is really weird. Why would statues have such an effect on me?


 

Above is the main house at Hyde Park. The interior of the house includes little or nothing in the way of Eleanor's taste in its furnishings or decor. FDR's mother, Sara Delano Roosevelt was a strong presence in the lives of Eleanor and FDR for many years of their marriage. Only after a long, gradual process were Eleanor and FDR able remove themselves from her influence.

Another post or two on our visit will follow.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really nice visit. I love the pic of you and FDR. I wonder if Eleanor is jealous. Probably not, she had to put up with that in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about the effect you would have on the statues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia, now you mention it, Franklin and I look rather cosy.

    Paul, for all I know the statues were never the same.

    I believe that the sculptor may have had a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My American mother and Dutch father (a veteran of WWII) made annual pilgrimages to Hyde Park; they would place flowers on FDR's grave in honor and thanks.

    Did you get to visit Val-Kill, the home of Mrs Roosevelt, or Olana, the fabulous house of Frederic Church (Hudson River School painter)? I love this part of New York State!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay, my friend Ginnie and I are both slow starters in the morning, and we did not get an early enough start to see anything other than FDR's house and the library. I want very much to see Val-KIll, so I plan to visit my friend again, and we will go to Eleanor's home.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.