Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WHY BOTHER?

You may wonder why, since I am no longer an insider in the Roman Catholic Church, I continue to pay attention and be bothered by the church's policies and actions. In the nearly 60 years that I spent in the RCC, there was much that I loved about the church. I'm grateful for my 16 years of RC schooling, where, for the most part, I was well taught. I grew up in a seriously dysfunctional home, alcoholic father, depressed mother. I won't bore you with the details, but my RC school was my safe place, my place of refuge and peace away from the sometimes nightmarish atmosphere in my home. The nuns were, with only one exception that I can think of, good and intelligent women. Under their nurturing, my sense of self-worth and moral core were planted, cared for, and grew. Of course, we were taught a bit of nonsense, too, but on the whole my RCC schooling was a strong, positive force in my life, and I will always be grateful for those years.

The church was a force for good in other ways, such as in my years at Loyola University, I learned the evils of racism. All I knew growing up was racism. Racist attitudes were a given, not questioned, until I encountered the teachings of the Jesuits. The voices for peace in the church were instrumental in turning me against the Vietnam War. I could go on.

The first seeds of discontent with the RCC were sown when I had three babies in four years, and I had to face the fact that I must break the church's birth control rule or, very likely, end up in a mental institution, because I had what I now believe was postpartum depression after my third child, which went untreated, because the illness was not yet named at the time. The decision to use birth control was difficult. Looking back, common sense tells me that the choice should have been easy, but it was not.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I stayed with the RCC through good times and bad, more good than bad, until the sex abuse scandal broke in our diocese. The sexual abuse of children was horrific enough, but that the powers covered up the abuse and moved the priests from one parish to another to continue the abuse for years was the final straw for me, and I took my leave about 14 years ago.

But for the sake of the good that I received from the RCC, I still care about the church, and I want the institution to be better than it is. Just as I call the powers in my own church, the Episcopal Church, to account, I continue to call the powers of the RCC to account because of the many years I made my home there.

I was thrilled when Katharine Jefforts-Schori was elected Presiding Bishop, but I did not hesitate to call her to account when she asked LGTB members of the Episcopal Church to remain in "a crucified place" and when she waited far too long to speak out publicly against the draconian laws proposed in Nigeria against LGTB persons.

In the beginning of his essay, Richard Sipe writes the following words and quotes the words of Thomas Keating:

I am pursuing this discussion in the spirit of contemplative transformation espoused by Fr. Thomas Keating who challenges us to confront the biases that keep us from facing truth when we fail to ask penetrating questions: “Are you so enamored with your religion that you have a naïve loyalty that cannot see the real faults that are present in a particular faith community? Do you sweep under the rug embarrassing situations and bow to the security or esteem needs of the community?”

I end my post with the words.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I am also a refugee from the RCC. But in the UK.
    I left for doctrinal reasons, but suffered a 25 year gap in the wilderness until I was called back. God did the calling - the CofE was the destination.

    No regrets, for all its faults, I am at home, and will never leave again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said it before and I'll say it again - the RC nuns of my youth provided me with a lasting, sure model of leadership in the church which I strive to emulate to this very day. If I had only half the courage of the RC nuns of my youth, I know I could be a better priest. They taught me, modeled it for me, guided me and 'marinated' me in the spirit of servant leadership. I am and forever will be a grateful, joyful debtor.

    Many of the boys who were "father's boys" who were "hand picked" to go to "junior seminary" and carefully prepared to become priests were the very ones who were abused and became abusers. I do not excuse the behavior, but I also know that these boys were not pedophiles. They suffer from 'arrested development'. I deeply grieve the evil done to them and by them.

    I still care very much about the RC church and I have long ago made my peace with leaving her. Which is why I am still so very angry every time another abuse is uncovered in another part of Rome's section of the Realm of God. Being "enamored of religion" leads to naive loyalty which leads to a particular spiritual and religous blindness that is hurting us all.

    Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why bother? Because we are Christians--and when we see someone using God, Jesus, the Bible, or the institutional power of the church as a stick to beat others, we have a responsibility to step up and say "No!"

    If one uses the logic that "If you don't belong, you have no right to criticize," you take away my ability to contend with the Fred Phelpses of the world because I'm not a member of Westboro Baptist. Ummmm...no.

    "The Church" (and by that I mean ANY institution that claims to represent God to the world) has a lot to answer for. And the only thing that keeps the church even minimally honest is having people like us stand up to the institution--and to those who claim its power---when it/they go wrong.

    And the only thing that keeps the church open to the voice of the Holy Spirit is to have people who take God seriously call it to account. It is our job to remind the church (as an institution) for whom it exists.

    So you keep fighting the good fight, Mimi. With power comes responsibility. Those who claim to speak in God's name arrogate great power to themselves. It is our job to ensure that they exhibit the responsibility that goes with their claim.

    Pax,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. UKViewer, I am very much at home in the Episcopal Church, warts and all. I won't say "never", but I don't see how I could return to the RCC fold.

    Elizabeth, I should have let you write my post, for you say what I wanted to say far better than I.

    The priest whom I knew as a boy, who entered the seminary at age 13, and who is now in jail for life for child abuse, seemed like a normal, likable, funny, mischievous boy when I knew him. We lost touch for many years, and then he ended up pastor of my church before his "activities" with young boys became known. By then, he was a troubled, bitter man, but I had no idea that he was a child abuser until the news exploded in the media.

    Lord, have mercy on us, indeed, if we become enamored of our religion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been in Baptist churches growing up that split over a minister's sexual misconduct with a church member. (The church usually took sides, split and two congregations pro and con formed with the greater in number getting the church building and the smaller forming a new congregation.) I have been on the receiving end of abuse from a family friend who was trusted, in part, because he was a member of our church. When anything happens at all within the relationship of a church and its members, much damage is done, especially when children are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Boocat, no denomination escapes the indictment of child abuse, and the numbers are far too high amongst the members of institutions who claim to be serving in the name of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mentored an EFM group for four years with a faithful, Hispanic woman in the group who, much as she wished, couldn't break the cultural ties with her Roman childhood in Puerto Rico to become an Episcopalian. There is real strength in the working faith of many of our Roman Catholic sisters and brothers. If we believe in the long arc of G-d's saving grace, perhaps the terrible folly we see with Pope Benedict and the right-wing American bishops will be just an ugly blip on that church's journey towards the Kingdom. OCICBW, and then a whole mess of us are f'ed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doxy! I passed over you. Well, sometimes I wonder if I pick on the RCC. It's the church beyond my own that I know the best, that I know a bit about how things work. If I spoke about the Baptist Church or the Methodist Church, I'd be speaking from a position of ignorance. Except for the Phelps clan. They're in a class all their own with a totally hate-based faith.

    Thank you for your encouraging words to keep fighting. ;-)

    John, the break from Rome was difficult for me, especially living where I do, in a heavily RC town of church-goers.

    I admire greatly the "strength of the working faith" of our brothers and sister in the RCC, and if our faith is about anything, it is about hope in God's saving grace.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.