Sunday, April 25, 2010

A BRIEF PASSAGE FROM "PRIDE AND PREJUDICE"

Indulge me again for a bit with my dear Jane Austen. After writing my earlier post on my life in books, I took up Pride and Prejudice to read last night. What's lovely now about reading Jane is that I can pick up her books and start anywhere, because I know what came before because I've read them so many times, and I can put them down anywhere, because I know what follows. I quote a brief passage which delighted me last night. When I read Jane's books, I stop after reading certain passages to reflect in amazement at her wonderful writing.

Jane's description of the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet:

Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three-and-twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. Her mind was less difficult to develop. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented, she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; its solace was visiting and news.

The exchange below takes place after a ball attended by Mrs. Bennet and her five daughters. Mr. Bennet stayed at home with his books, and upon their return, his wife went to his library to give him an account of the ball.

"Oh! my dear Mr. Bennet," as she entered the room, "we have had a most delightful evening, a most excellent ball. I wish you had been there. Jane was so admired, nothing could be like it. Every body said how well she looked; and Mr. Bingley thought her quite beautiful, and danced with her twice. Only think of that my dear; he actually danced with her twice; and she was the only creature in the room that he asked a second time. First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he enquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger --"

"If he had had any compassion for me," cried her husband impatiently, "he would not have danced half so much! For God's sake, say no more of his partners. Oh! that he had sprained his ancle in the first dance!"

And if you really want to know about the relationships and connections in P&P, I found this wonderful chart to help you out. Click on the chart for the larger view.


Am I going overboard? Is the chart TMI? Is the entire post an unnecessary self-indulgence? Well, it is my blog, after all.

14 comments:

  1. definitely not an indulgence or TMI, Mimi, I love hearing about other people's taste in books and what they love and why they love it! Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed by: "No lace - no lace, Mrs. Bennett, I beg you!"

    Oh, dear, now I shall have to read it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, once I get started on Jane Austen, it's difficult for me to stop.

    Penelope, exactly! I thought of continuing to the lace bit, but certain of my readers have short attention spans. :-)

    For the curious:

    "Oh! my dear," continued Mrs. Bennet, "I am quite delighted with him. He is so excessively handsome! and his sisters are charming women. I never in my life saw any thing more elegant than their dresses. I dare say the lace upon Mrs. Hurst's gown --"

    Here she was interrupted again. Mr. Bennet protested against any description of finery.


    And then on to the rude and arrogant Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all of Jane on my Kindle so she goes with me everywhere.

    And why the chart -- SURELY everyone knows that by heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, incorporate a little more of that style...I love it, let´s read what you think (I mean really think)...whirl, let´s whirl around in the Ballroom and then walk the lawn.

    Love it, MORE!

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susankay, I don't have Kindle yet, and I may never have Kindle, but we shall see. Maybe just to carry Jane around wherever I go.... I know it's hard to believe, but some folks do not know the chart.

    Glad you enjoyed it, Margaret.

    Leo, I try, but I'm no Jane Austen. I can give you more quotes. However, I wouldn't mind at all dancing a Boulanger with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had had the chart when I read Austen in my lost youth. It would have made my first run through so much easier. By the time I got older, it somehow fell into place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One little thing to note about the conversation is the order of the dances. In particular "two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy,".

    Did the Darcy-Bingley conversation about Darcy not dancing happen between these two dances and did Bingley choose to dance with Elizabeth because Darcy had just slighted her?

    ps. According to what I've been told, I got named for a Jane Austen character (not Elizabeth) as my mother was reading Austen when pregnant with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boocat, the chart would surely have been useful to me on the first reading.

    Erp, yours is a good question. For Mr. Bingley to do just that would have been very much in character. Is this a test?

    You're not saying which character you're named after, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do wonder how many hidden gems there are in Jane's work.

    Well it is a title character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That chart: now it's soooo much clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DP, are you chart-challenged? I thought so.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.