Monday, April 5, 2010

NEW ORLEANS TO BE INVADED BY GOP

From TPM:

Conservative activists, presidential hopefuls and Republican officials descend on New Orleans Thursday for the 3-day Southern Republican Leadership Conference -- the first big test of 2012 mettle since President Obama scored his health care victory. It's also the first major GOP event in a city devastated by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which contributed to the end of Republican rule in Washington.

From Sarah Palin to Mike Pence the Republicans who may challenge Obama two years from now will attempt to win over conservatives at one of the premiere events for the GOP. Just about everyone considering a bid will appear, except former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is finishing out his book tour. Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty will address the conference via video. Pawlenty is opting to attend a welcome-home ceremony for soldiers returning from Iraq instead.

Below is the list of Republican hopefuls who will grace New Orleans with their awesome presences.

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)
Former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR)
Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)
Former Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK)

Ta-dah! A star-studded event, surely. Shall I make my reservations? Ah, but they're coming Thursday, so it's probably too late to reserve one of the best rooms.

I say bring it on, guys. Bring your money with you, and spend, spend, spend like there's no tomorrow. Lots of - ah - interesting entertainment, you know. New Orleans needs your bucks.

Another potential candidate, Liz Cheney, will appear.

The conference opens Thursday morning and the first big speaking events will be that night when Mary Matalin, Cheney, Newt Gingrich and JC Watts address the crowd. Friday kicks off the big show, with Palin, Jindal and Texas Gov. Rick Perry speaking in the afternoon. Saturday afternoon will feature Pawlenty's video address, Paul, Pence, Santorum, RNC Chairman Michael Steele and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour.

And our governor, Bobby Jindal, will not simply have a night with the stars, he will BE one of the stars.

11 comments:

  1. Ha! I suppose it's wicked of me to say so but I wouln't be surprised if they have to call in reinforcements for that - ah - "entertainment" there in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that GOP senator you have there (I forget his name) going to be involved? The one who liked to be diapered by hookers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, wicked, indeed. I hear the reinforcements have already arrived.

    Hi Bubs. I'm sure our GOP senator will be in that number, but he knows better than to run for president. He may be acceptable to the good Christian folks on his home turf, but I doubt the rest of the country would be at ease with Vitter's extracurricular activities. Although, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The headline is enough to strike a chill to the heart and reading the list of attendees does not improve matters. Poor you, is all I can say. I would be fleeing the country to Mexico, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave town at once! Or book a room with a very good view and hire a hit man! (Don't book it in your own name or pay by card.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm not in town, you know. I doubt that many of the GOPers will make their way to Thibodaux. I hope not. We have enough here already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Confession: If I came face to face with Liz Cheney, I'd want to smack her for her lies, but I would never do that, because I'm not a violent person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wot, no David Vitter? Or is he organizing the entertainment Ellie mentions?

    WV "wooff"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Lapin, Vitter knows the right people.

    Wooff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin, what can I say? That's entertainment!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.