Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BEAR WITH ME

I wanted to write more about Bishop Morris Thompson's ordination service, but as I told my friend Paul the BB in an email:

I have no words for much of anything except the catastrophe that continues to unfold in the Gulf. My heart is sick, and I'm wordless, but for words of lament and mourning. I wish I was into keening. Perhaps it would help.

Lethargy drags me down as I watch the scene of horror unfold. Who said that the oil gushing from the well was a slow Katrina? They were right, but we have not yet seen the worst of it. When a bit of energy returns, all I can think about or write about is the catastrophe.

As I said to Ann Fontaine in a message on Facebook:

I feel like the Sierra Club guy, moved beyond words. I'm afraid that I'm going to be pretty much a Mimi-one-note for some time. People will tire of hearing about the oil and the damage, but tough titties.

And you know that I'm really, really bad off when I take to quoting myself!

9 comments:

  1. Mimi-
    Keep reminding yourself that God knows what He's doing, even if we humans don't know what He's doing; that like everything else, this happened because He wanted it to happen, and He wanted it to happen because He has something in mind. And because He's God, that "something" is, in the end, certain to be good.

    "The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof"

    So trust Him to make it all work out, and trust Him to show us humans what He needs us to do.

    And just make sure that when He shows you something to do, you do it, with the full knowledge that you can use all the help He can give to do it.

    WV: stingla. Yes, I guess it does sting pretty bad in LA right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But for me, we all need your Mimi-one-note. You inspire prayer when I have melted in to desperate despair.

    Thank you for this and all your prayer posts today. Many blessings Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kishnevi, God knows what God is doing, but the leaders at BP don't know what they're doing. God didn't want this disaster to happen. I believe God cries with me to see God's beautiful creation despoiled.

    What can we do but trust that God will bring good out of catastrophe?

    It stings, Kishnevi, it stings.

    Thank you, dearest Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, you have tokeep the witness to this. THe press is fickle. you need to keep our feet to the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember preaching in Eastertide years ago (1994?) on St Peter's comment: "We are witnesses of these things." The week before I had watched Schindler's List and learned that my next-door neighbor was a daughter of one of "Schindler's Jews." Yom Hashoa, Holocaust Day, had also been in that week along with Armenian Martyrs' Day. I preached that we must witness both to the Resurrection and to the horrors, lest we forget, become complacent, do nothing.

    You are a shining witness: to tragedy and to grace. Hang in there, Mimi dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on blogging about this unmitigated (and likely to remain unmitigated) disaster. I for one will not tire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all.

    I preached that we must witness both to the Resurrection and to the horrors, lest we forget, become complacent, do nothing.

    Paul, amen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Mimi. I'm an avid birder and wanna-be naturalist. I have often hiked the Gulf Coast, including your islands. The coming holocaust leaves me speechless. I fear our children will never know the wonder of Gulf wildlife that I have known. It breaks my heart and leaves me nearly speechless.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.