Thursday, July 29, 2010

SHOPPING, GAMES, AND SCREENSAVERS


Today, I took my grandchildren shopping for school uniforms. We have a great store here in Thibodaux, The New Store, although it's not really new. The service is excellent. The staff know what the rules are for each school, how long the skirt must be, etc., and they do it all, except the customer pays the bill, which turns out to be close to astronomical.

Afterward, we went shopping for a baby gift for young friends of ours who have a new baby girl. My granddaughter introduced me to a neat new shop in town, and she helped me pick out the gifts, so that's done. I like to give my business to folks who have the courage to open up a small store in this age of the big box stores, and I was pleased to see that the shop had a good bit of traffic.

When the kids and I returned to our house, we played MONOTONOUS, which is only fun when I play with my grandchildren. The game in the picture is the very same set that I played with my children. Perhaps it's a collector's item by now, although the box is not in perfect condition, as you see with the taped corners.

My granddaughter was on my computer for a while, and when I turned it back on after they left, I said, "What! My eyes!". She'd left me with the screensaver pictured below. Oh, no. I called her, but she didn't answer her phone. I fiddled around and finally got the screensaver changed to something more peaceful. She'd also left me with a header colored iridescent pink and green. Oh no, again, but I couldn't figure out how to change the color of the header. When I finally got GD on the phone, I said, "You changed my settings! I asked you not to do that." She said, "They were a present. I thought you would like them." And then, I felt bad. I still feel bad. Oh well. No undoing what's done. My expertise on computers is lame compared to theirs, and what they change, I don't often don't know how to change back.




UPATE: The picture above shows wallpaper, not a screensaver. You see? I do not even know the terminology.

16 comments:

  1. Very funny computer wallpaper! It reminds me of a horrible pink & blue rose pattern from my childhood. It used to make me really queasy, especially after having to spend 3 weeks in bed once. My nephew also "improved" the look of my desktop last year when he visited; never got it back exactly the same.

    You should try "New Orleans in a box": Monopoly with local names. My daughter liked that one best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear, Mimi, I understand why you feel bad, but you know what, you did ask her not to, so, to be fair, she really shouldn't have. If someone asks you not to do something and you decide they will like it if you do, and then they don't, this is how you learn to listen. It's harsh but it is a valuable thing to learn. I hope I don't sound horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet - your new wallpaper. Looks like our daughter's room when she was young. You did ask her but reminds me of a time when I threw goodbye sand all over my parent's car -- they would come to visit us at the beach where we were sent for the summer to stay with our grandparents. I thought it would be a great farewell (like confetti) I got reamed out for scratching the car.

    oh well - I survived the trauma!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel guilty Grandmere.... she should have asked permission. It's just not right to mess with someone else's stuff.... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "New Orleans in a Box"? I never knew there was a NO version, ginny. The kids are so smart with technology. I'm in awe of them.

    Cathy, if anyone sounded horrible, I did. My GD thinks my tastes are dull and pedestrian. If I'd let them, they'd overload my computer with all sorts of junk and games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, is it, Ann?

    Like confetti? You got your comeuppance.

    Margaret, I'm especially possessive about my computer, because if something goes wrong because the kids mess with my settings, I often don't know how to get it right again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, settings.

    Easier (and quicker) to fix than a bad haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hiya Mimi, I don't think you sound like you were horrible at all :-) You had reason to be a bit cross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a good bit easier on my grandchildren than I was on my own children. They tell me I was tough. They were more afraid of me than of their dad, except for my daughter. She knew that when Tom got to the end of his rope with her, he'd be hard on her, but he had a long rope. She gave us hell, not really serious stuff, and she was always a good student, but she had a mouth, and she did what she wanted and damn the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter sounds fabulous, Mimi.

    By the way, it did strike me when I looked at the wallpaper again this morning that you wouldn't want to look at it with a hangover. (Not that I have one, I hasten to add. I'm just saying.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not that I have one, I hasten to add.

    I'd never have thought of the hangover, if you hadn't mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder where your daughter got her mouth?

    *ducks, runs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cher Paul, surely you're not suggesting that my daughter takes after her mother!

    In truth, you're right. In a good many ways, she's a woman after my own heart. She shook the dust of the small town off her feet as soon as she could. She's also an excellent mother to her children, better than I ever was.

    My son, the one who is divorced, is also a very good single dad, surprisingly good. He's actually matured quite a bit since his divorce, which encourages me to believe that a good life is possible after divorce, both for the parents and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be incredibly gratifying to see one's children continue to grow and develop as adults and be good parents in their own turn. Also reassuring to know there is life after divorce. Blessings on your whole family.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.