Thursday, July 22, 2010

TROPICAL STORM BONNIE - NOT PRETTY PICTURES

From 5 or 6 days out, it's not possible to predict the path, the intensity, nor the size of a tropical storm or hurricane, but the maps give me the heebie-jeebies. Upon landfall Bonnie will be barely a hurricane of the predictions are correct. But there's the oil. Drilling on the relief well, the only permanent solution to the oil well gusher, has rightly been suspended because of concern about the weather. There are worst-case scenarios and best-case scenarios, but I do not see a good outcome. But perhaps I have a pinched imagination.

Click on the maps for the larger view.



Tracking


5 day forecast


Computer models


Ensemble models

The maps are from Weather Underground, my favorite source for tropical weather watches.

7 comments:

  1. Prayers headed your way (just like, um...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JCF, thanks. I know It's too early for me to start worrying, but....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been watching Bonnie from down in the DR and groaning as I look at the cone projections. Carumba. Prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi--
    It's not about 11 AM EDT, and apparently we are getting the worst of Bonnie right now in SoFla.

    It's not weather you want to be driving in, but that's about the worst of it. I'll do my weekly food shopping this afternoon instead of doing it this morning, is what it boils down to.

    The projections I've seen make it sound like it may not be much worse when it gets up your way, so I guess the primary concern will be on how it complicates cleaning up the marshes and beaches from the oil spill.

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caminante, thanks for the prayers.

    Kishnevi, thank you for the on-the-scene report. I hope that the advisory is right and the storm doesn't strengthen much once it moves into the Gulf. We're more twitchy than usual around here now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might seem abstract to me had I not watched illustrations like these with great interest as Gustav approached in 2008. Now when I see them my stomach tightens. May this one pass with minimal impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, ah yes, I remember Gustav well, and unlike Hermione Gingold and Maurice Chevalier, I don't have fond memories, except that it could have been worse for us - a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.