Thursday, September 30, 2010

GROWING UP GAY

Chris at The Verge of Jordan writes an excellent post about the difficulties of growing up gay.

I hated gym class. Skinny, uncoordinated and myopic, I knew that whatever activity they dreamed up, I wasn't going to be good at it. Some things, like crab soccer and pillow polo, were okay, because they really didn't require much skill. But I dreaded anything where some kids, invariably the jocks, got to pick teams, because I was certain to be damn near last, and with good reason.
....

But I guess I was lucky; I didn't go to the school in Decatur, Ala., where the teacher invented a game called "smear the queer" in which a single student is singled out to be slogged by volleyballs by the entire rest of the class.
....

I was lucky to have enough of a support system to reach adulthood and understand that people who act this way are saying more about themselves and their own insecurities than they are about you.

Not every young person is fortunate to have such a support system as Chris.

Chris documents the recent suicides of gay teens who have been bullied or worse, in school and out. The heartbreaking pictures and stories of the deaths of the young people in Chris' post, are all included in my "How Many Deaths...?" series of posts, which I began early this month and is already up to five suicides.

Chris says further:

On October 17th, friends and I are participating in Out of the Darkness, a Community Walk to benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. If you are in a position to contribute anything to help this worthy cause, please visit this link. It would be much appreciated. If you would like to know more about anti-bullying, LGBT youth and suicide prevention, please visit the links below:

* www.afsp.org - American Society for Suicide Prevention
* thetrevorproject.org - Hotline and other resources for LGBT Youth
* thinkb4youspeak.org - Discourages use of anti-gay language and verbal bullying
* truthwinsout.org - Fighting anti-gay lies and the ex-gay myth
* matthewshepard.org - Parents of a murdered gay teen founded this rights and education group

Chris supplies a useful list of resources which approach the problem of teen suicide from different angles, to which I would add one more, It Gets Better, which Counterlight suggested. It wouldn't hurt to read Counterlight's post either, which gives an account of how he and his partner made it through the teen years and includes a series of videos which are well worth viewing.

Not all teen suicides are gay, and not all bullying is confined to gay and lesbian teens. Any young person who is different or who doesn't "fit in" is at risk. Perhaps we can begin to turn the tide in how we, as a society, view bullying and anti-gay attitudes and actions, in adults and youth, and begin to address them as the serious problem that they are because of the tragic consequences that all too often follow.

Thanks to Susan S. for the link to Chris' blog.

UPDATE: Bill Ghrist suggests the link to The Southern Poverty Law Center:

In response to mounting reports of vicious anti-gay bullying and student suicides, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance project is making a new documentary film and educational kit available – free of charge – to every school in the country.

12 comments:

  1. Simply put - when will bullying be seen for what it is, a crime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also check out this new project from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

    "In response to mounting reports of vicious anti-gay bullying and student suicides, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance project is making a new documentary film and educational kit available – free of charge – to every school in the country."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been mulling over your posts since they began because there's one thing I think needs to be said, but I wasn't sure how to say it without sounding like I'm blaming people who already suffering a lot--the parents of these dead children. So here goes--
    I was bullied--of course,not nearly anything like what these kids went through. My parents taught me two things: that I had nothing to be ashamed of, and that the proper response was for me to hit back. In other words, what Doug says Michael did, albeit in a much less extreme way. And it worked. No one even thought of involving the school or anyone other than the parents. I had to do it myself. Reading these stories, I have the sense that the families think the reverse of what my parents thought--that the primary defense against bullying is the school and the community, and not the individual and his/her family. I have to wonder--did these parents try to get their children to understand that it was the bullies who were displaying their inferiority and insecurities? That it was the bullies who were inferior? And that the victim's best chance to stop being a victim was to fight back--in other words, to refuse to be a victim?

    There--I'm done, and if what I said sounded hurtful judgmental or sanctimonious, I apologize: I just don't know a better way to say what I think needs to be said. And I know that in some cases--that teacher in Alabama whom Chris mentioned, or parents of gay kids who are themselves violently homophobic--it doesn't apply at all. Although I suppose in the latter case a different sort of guilt should be applicable.

    On a more cheerful note--I'm glad you found Chris. He's a wonderful person whom I've cyber-known for several years now via LiveJournal--the initial point of contact being a shared love of cruise ships and classic liners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, thanks. Your link is a worthy addition to the list of resources. I added an update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kishnevi, I don't know the backgrounds and families of all the young people. I expect that some kids have the inner resources to fight back, and some don't, with or without parental encouragement. I believe that the schools bear a responsibility for the safety of the children in their care, and I can't absolve them from responsibility.

    However it was back in whatever day, when a goodly number of young people begin killing themselves because of being bullied, we, as a society, can't stand by and expect the kids to solve the problem on their own.

    I'm glad I found Chris, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words and for sharing my story. I feel as you do, that we need to speak about this and get people to understand the impact of their words and actions on a clearly vulnerable population.

    Just got word from a friend that there's been yet another suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Mimi, for standing up and speaking out, educating people that a problem exists and enlisting not only prayers but efforts to change things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, I think the stories of gay people go a long way to helping to change minds and hearts. I know that the stories had a great impact on me in weaning me from my indifferent, live-and-let-live attitude (which is actually a type of homophobia) to becoming an advocate for justice and equality for GLTB persons. And credit where credit is due, my faith played no small part in my transformation.

    I'm terribly distressed to hear about another young person committing suicide. It breaks my heart yet again.

    Pablito, thank you for your kind words, and thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Mimi, for posting about each child, for posting ways we can all help, and for reminding us about your own redemption. You give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paulas, you're quite welcome. If I can change....

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the comment thread on the latest (19 year-old Raymond Chase), suggesting that the greatest threat may be from the the ones we love:

    This boy came from my home town and I have mutual friends on...shudder...Facebook.

    He was out to his friends, and decided to tell his mother. She disowned him.


    Obviously, that's hearsay. But I wonder---to piggyback on kishnevi's comment---whether the LACK of family support is really the greatest factor in these suicides (Moreover, it's natural that a guilt-stricken family would channel that guilt into blaming others, e.g. "We complained to the school, and they did nothing.")

    I heard Seth Walsh's grandfather on MSNBC this morning. He said Seth was out to them (the family), and sounded (fairly) supportive. But I still wonder: did these young men really KNOW that their families loved them AS gay . . . and not merely (perhaps) in spite of it?

    A young person is apt to hear the fam's "I love you, honey, no matter what!" as "...no matter HOW MUCH you're smashing my heart, soul and dreams, you selfish little piece of sh*t!" Ergo, not really "affirming".

    May Raymond rest in peace. May his mother find comfort . . . and if she did as described, conversion (even if too late for her son).

    ReplyDelete
  12. May Raymond rest in peace. May his mother find comfort . . . and if she did as described, conversion (even if too late for her son).

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.