Thursday, September 30, 2010

UPDATE ON MARK'S CAT, KATZIE

I've put together excerpts from several emails from Mark concerning the medical needs of Katzie. My earlier post asking for help for Katzie is here. Because Mark is distraught at this time, I've left parts of his emails out of what is published here:

June and Jonathan and Everybody,

I also want to thank everyone, deeply and profoundly. The outpouring of aid has been astounding and humbling. I don't mind suffering for me, but Katzie never asked for it. I'm sure to many it seems ridiculous - risking possible homelessness (yes, a bit melodramatic, but not unrealistic) for a *cat*, and, I'm willing to admit, it may well be. Still, besides the mere affection, which is emotional, there is the fact that I was the one who chose him, and whom he chose in the pet store. I've cared for him for nine years, and I undertook to care for him and protect him and he's been a companion and protector himself. I owe him, because I chose him. Were it something that couldn't be fixed, I would grieve and make the choice for his best. If it were a matter of a better home, I would grieve and send him, but no one will take a cat that's got those problems. I owe him.

None of you owe him - or me, and I can't express in coldly symbolic words how grateful I am.

Love,

Mark
....

I'll stick to cold facts, as I haven't slept more than two hours or eaten an actual full meal since Sunday, and I'm not thinking clearly and am extremely fragile and emotionally-devastated, right now.

The observation revealed the blockage is ongoing and has led to a bladder infection. The result is that [the veterinarian]... needs to do "aggressive surgery" which is the procedure which will widen Katzie's urethra by (layman's understanding) effectively creating a new opening below the belly, like that of a female cat. Females rarely block, while males have much more narrow openings.
....

There's not quite enough to cover the expenses, yet, but it's still coming in, and I haven't spoken with our priest yet.

From me:

Mark doesn't seem ridiculous to me. Once we take our pets into our homes, there is, or should be, a commitment to love them and care for them as best we can. That is what Mark is doing. He's trying for help locally, and he's asked for our help.

I have the name of Katzie's vet if you would like to check out Mark's story. If you email Mark, he will give you the name also. Bear in mind that Mark has access to the internet only at night when he is at work.

Jonathan (MadPriest) says "$483.66 towards the cost of Katzie's veterinary bills, that will end up being (as far as we know at this moment in time) about $700" has come in. I thank all of you who have made donations thus far.

You may send donations to Mark through PayPal at the following email address:

petrus332000@hotmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Poor Katzie.

    My son's part Russian Blue cat, Stormy, sometimes blocks in the urinary track due to a genetic defect in the breed. Stormy also eats anything, including scrunchies, rubber bands, and too much grass and gets intestinal blockages. He's a beautiful cat, but he's expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well eating scrunchies and rubber bands is really not going to help, is it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted an update on my blog.

    Be checking on Katzie tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.