Thursday, October 7, 2010

"THE BLESSING OF OUR RELATIVES"


From Paul at Byzigenous Buddhapalian:

Me (Paul the BB), rejoicing in Chica and Tuxedo, my friend Jan's horses, at San Gabriel, Corrales.

May your abundant ✠ blessing rest upon these creatures who are our companions in the journey of life. Amen.

Let us also remember the less fortunate creatures of this world.

Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends the animals, especially for those animals that are suffering; for all that are overworked and underfed and cruelly treated; for all wistful creatures in captivity that beat against the bars; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened; for all that are in pain or dying; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for those who deal with them a heart of compassion, gentle hands, and kind words; that they may share thus the blessing of the merciful. For you, O lord, will save both human and beast, and great is your loving-kindness. Amen.

--the BB

Without doubt, this is my favorite picture of my friend Paul. I had to copy the post because of the lovely blessing, for the beauty of the horses, and for the picture of handsome Paul. If you'd like to leave a comment, you may want to visit Paul's blog.

11 comments:

  1. I've nicked the whole prayer from "Hear our humble prayer, O God" for my own prayer list. Many many thanks, Paul and Mimi.

    wv - deaded. I guess we can't do much for the critters who have been deaded. Or can we? ... :-/ ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, you're welcome. I love the blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Mimi.

    I ask about the critters who have been deaded because I always pray for Fifi, the cat I loved, who died, and also pet birds I left behind back in Australia, some of whom have died. I never know if there's a point to it, but I know people pray for humans who have passed on, so I see no reason why I can't pray for birds and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, one of the points of intercessory prayer may be that the prayers are efficacious for the one who prays, as I've often found them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a sweetheart, Mimi. Just so folks know, the "hear our humble...." prayer is Russian and I found it in a collection by the late Rev. Dr. Massey Shepard, who was a noted actor in the liturgical renewal and professor of liturgics at CDSP. We both worshiped at St Mark's, Berkeley (something shared with Susan S. and Padre Mickey). He looked like a Byzantine icon when he presided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noted about the blessing, dear.

    He looked like a Byzantine icon when he presided.

    How wonderful for all you ex-Berkeley folks. The church left its mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is a North Berkeley family. All Soul's for us--starting with my grandparents.

    ;-)

    Paul is a handsome devil, Mimi.

    Pics from the animal blessing at St Pauls San Diego (the Cathedral) here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, IT, I'll amend my statement to, "Berkeley left its mark".

    And that Paul is handsome AND a devil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why, ladies, you flatter me on all counts.

    I have worshiped at All Souls, Berkeley, also, and meditated in the chapel there on many occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't read this blessing without thinking of shabby tigers, which I first encountered in an allusive Peter Wimsey context, but it took years before I found out what the allusion was to.

    Apologies if everyone but me knows this from childhood, but this is a good companion piece:

    http://dps.holtof.com/obev/obev305.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Porlock, I didn't know it.

    Here it is:

    The Bells of Heaven

    ’TWOULD ring the bells of Heaven
    The wildest peal for years,
    If Parson lost his senses
    And people came to theirs,
    And he and they together
    Knelt down with angry prayers
    For tamed and shabby tigers,
    And dancing dogs and bears,
    And wretched, blind pit ponies,
    And little hunted hares.


    Lovely. If only.... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.