Monday, November 8, 2010

TELLING THE GOOD NEWS


God bless Bishop Gene Robinson! Bishop Gene may be retiring from his position as Bishop of New Hampshire, but I doubt that he will fade into the sunset. I hope not. We need his voice.

Bishop Gene's announcement of his retirement in January 2013 has been widely circulated in the media and in blogs, either in whole or in part. His words are full of grace, which is entirely unsurprising from such a grace-filled man of God. I'll never forget his words to all who face prejudice, hostility, name-calling, lies, bullying, and, in Bishop Gene's case, multiple death threats, "Love them anyway!"

What I'd like to highlight today is his latest column at the website of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire.

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

What makes evangelism so hard for Episcopalians?

I know that we are not ashamed of our faith. Indeed, we Episcopalians are deeply proud of our faith. Somewhere around half of us came to The Episcopal Church from some other denomination as an adult. So, many of us, not being “cradle” Episcopalians, have consciously and intentionally chosen to be Episcopalians. So we hold this style and expression of the Christian faith very dear. We are hardly ashamed of it.

We are not ashamed of Jesus, certainly. We know Jesus of Nazareth to be the Holy One of God and the “full, perfect, and sufficient sacrifice, satisfaction and oblation for the sins of the whole world.” We try to model our lives after him; we strive to think like him. We talk to him, seek guidance from him, praise and adore him.

Clearly, Jesus is not the reason for our reticence to evangelize.

Clearly, Jesus is not the reason for my reticence to evangelize. I know full well the difference Jesus makes in my life. I need Jesus every single day for my salvation, right here and right now - for my survival as a functioning (more or less) human being. Hyperbole? Not at all. Just the simple truth.

Nor am I ashamed of my faith. As did Bishop Gene, I came to the Episcopal Church from another denomination, but rather later in my life. I love the Episcopal Church, warts and all, and at this moment, I'm proud that my church takes a lead in officially standing for justice and equality for all. We have a way to go with respect to implementing the practice of justice and equality, but we're on the way, and we've taken more than a few blows in the process of setting out upon our path. So no. I'm not ashamed of my faith.

But why is that I lack the zeal of Bishop Gene, or Fr Jake, or my rector, Fr Ed Robertson, to share my faith in my real-life, everyday interactions with others? Is a zeal for person-to-person evangelization a special gift that is given only to certain Christians? Telling the Good News here on my blog is easy, but unless another asks me about my faith or my church, I am reticent about introducing the subject in a conversation.

Bishop Gene says we are all to be evangelists. His final words encourage us to the share the Good News about Jesus.

We can find our own style for telling the Good News to a world desperate to hear it. We can get over our reticence – even as New England Episcopalians (or Louisiana Episcopalians) – to share our joy in knowing the Lord and living in his light.... Try on some new behavior. And let’s tell our neighbors how they can come to church with us and share in that joy!

Lord, may it be so.

19 comments:

  1. There are many ways to witness to our faith. I like the comment attributed to (but apparently probably not said by) St Francis - preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words.

    I find your blog to show your zeal. This is a great witness. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, thanks. I often think of the words attributed to St. Francis, and I hope that I put them into practice at least some of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking for myself I don't evangelize more because I fear actively putting people off. I don't want people to feel accosted by me, or made uncomfortable. I am sure there are ways to avoid this but I am not convinced I know what they are.

    wv - lamia! Dangerous lady monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring words. THanks for sharing them, Mimi.

    As for sharing the good news of Jesus with my friends - well, I trust my friends enough to tell me if I'm putting them off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we live our lives according to our faith, and as long as we are true to that we are doing a type of evangelism... "showing forth your praise not only with our lips but with our lives by giving up our selves to your service..." My favorite +Gene statement is when he said that Jesus wants followers, not cheerleaders. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you Grandmere. You are an excellent evangelist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trust my friends enough to tell me if I'm putting them off!

    Tim, that's a good way to look at. Thanks for your kind words.

    SCG, that is my hope.

    God bless you, Margaret. Hey, God, Margaret's here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Grandmere --small case 'm' when you are talking God!!!! Please!!!) :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, margaret. How could I? I promise I'll do better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An important thing for me, in regards to sharing my faith, is to be sure that I'm listening to the other with respect and genuine interest regardless of where they are, or believe they aren't, on their faith journey. When I share my thoughts, it's not to persuade, but because I'm expressing what I believe to be true and want the other to know how I've found, and "refind" peace. There's a difference. In Evangelical Land, the approach is to win a debate, and we know how heart changing that can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a difference. In Evangelical Land, the approach is to win a debate, and we know how heart changing that can be.

    KJ, in the past, I've engaged in far more than one too many of the debates with fundies to ever want to repeat the experience. I just won't do it.

    When I share my faith, I speak out of my own experience, with no intent to push my experience on the other. And you're right that careful listening is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimi, You evangelize everytime you write a letter to the editor or comment. You evangelize daily through your blog. Some poor soul may see one of your comments and have a light go off in their head and realize that there is hope for them in Jesus, and you will never know.

    You don't need to be Tammy Faye Bakker or be constantly pushing pamphlets in peoples' faces. The best evangelists do so by example and not through debate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ueber-G, thanks.

    You don't need to be Tammy Faye Bakker or be constantly pushing pamphlets in peoples' faces.

    Good thing, because I'm allergic to eye make-up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Something I learned about evangelism from a good Lutheran evangelist: It's important to realise what's God's role and what's mine.

    What only God can do: God can save, God can heal, God can convert.

    What I can do: I can build relationships, I can listen, I can witness, I can pray.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tim, the Lutheran evangelist taught you well. I assume that witness includes both words and deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He was speaking about spoken witness. I think he put the deeds under 'building relationships'.

    His name was William McKay and he wrote an excellent book on the subject which I highly recommend to mainline Christians who want to learn a better way of evangelism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As for sharing the good news of Jesus with my friends - well, I trust my friends enough to tell me if I'm putting them off!

    Me too. Then I tell them they're wrong for being put off and to damn well stop it. Won't have that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm - I'm not sure if I'm being agreed with or gently prodded there...

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.