Sunday, December 26, 2010

IT'S STILL CHRISTMAS


The Nativity set made by my mother a good many years ago in a ceramics class

Behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

(Luke 2:10, 11)

Merry Christmas in:

French: Joyeux Noel
German: Fröhliche Weihnachten
Spanish: Feliz Navidad (Come on, you knew this one)
Dutch: Vrolijk Kerstfeest
Czech: Prejeme Vam Vesele Vanoce
Norwegian: Gledelig Jul
Polish: Wesołych Świąt
Welsh: Nadolig Llawen
Greek: Καλά Χριστούγεννα (Kalá Christoúgenna)
Swedish: God Jul
Hebrew: חג מולד שמח
Simplified Chinese: 圣诞节快乐 )Shèngdàn jié kuàilè)
Canada: Merry Christmas, eh?

From Now Public.

5 comments:

  1. Snickering from the Great White North at the Canadian version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit, I didn't say that! It's a quote! What do I know? I'm way down in Louisiana. It's not white here, but it's cold - low 20s last night, and it's hovering just above freezing right now. Cold for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother must have been very talented to make those figurines, Mimi. I don't know how easy it is to work with ceramics, but not very, I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know (and I've probably said this before), I have that nativity set, complete with magi and shepherds (a few more figures than I see here, anyway). And my mother made it, years ago.

    Used to have a cardboard "manger" for the backdrop, too. Don't put it out anymore because the cats would wander through it and knock the pieces over, and they'd surely be damaged. Then again, I have three more Nativity sets, so it isn't entirely missed.

    Still, I like seeing it, if only in other people's pictures. Gratias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, the figures are made from molds, but you have to know what you're doing. I asked my mother to paint them white with a matte finish.

    Rmj, I have the Magi and their camels, but I didn't unpack them this year. The entire set takes up a good deal of space. The camels, as you know, are quite large. I'm glad you enjoy my set.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.