Thursday, January 6, 2011

ANGRY AT GOD?

From CNN Health:
If you're angry at your doctor, your boss, your relative or your spouse, you can probably sit down and have a productive conversation about it. God, on the other hand, is probably not available to chat.

And yet people get angry at God all the time, especially about everyday disappointments, finds a new set of studies in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

It's not just religious folks, either. People unaffiliated with organized religion, atheists and agnostics also report anger toward God either in the past, or anger focused on a hypothetical image - that is, what they imagined God might be like - said lead study author Julie Exline, Case Western Reserve University psychologist.
....

It seems that more religious people are less likely to feel angry at God and more likely to see his intentions as well-meaning, Exline's research found.

And younger people tend to be angrier at God than older people, Exline said. She says some of the reasons she's seen people the angriest at God include rejection from preferred colleges and sports injuries preventing high schoolers from competing.

I find the results of the study intriguing and a bit amusing, in that agnostics and atheists express anger at a higher power, in whom they don't believe, for the disappointments of life. If a young person believes that God or some transcendent entity out there is responsible for tragedies and disappointments they experience, I'd guess that person is rather less likely to participate in organized religion.
"When people trust that God cares about them and has positive intentions toward them, even if they can’t understand what those intentions or meanings are, it tends to help to resolve anger," she said.

Granted, these studies aren't definitive; they are steps forward in this emerging field of inquiry and not the final word on the subject.
....

"What they need is a safe place to express their anger, to know that their anger has been heard and listened to," he said.
(My emphasis)

Amen to the final words.

I don't know about you, but I've shaken my fist at God in anger numerous times. God can take it. I won't say that God and I chat, but I do get what appear to me to be responses from God through a variety of sources, other people, something I read in the Bible or elsewhere, or sometimes from thoughts that pop into my mind. I state emphatically that I don't hear the audible voice of God, except through other people. And sometimes I seem to get no answer at all. As I see it, a healthy relationship with God allows for us to express our anger, and we should not feel guilty about doing so.

The Psalmists express anger quite often.
Psalm 22 (The Psalm Jesus quoted as he hung upon the cross)

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
and by night, but find no rest.

Psalm 42

I say to God, my rock,
‘Why have you forgotten me?
Why must I walk about mournfully
because the enemy oppresses me?’
As with a deadly wound in my body,
my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me continually,
‘Where is your God?’

H/T to John Chilton at The Lead.

13 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post. Some of my most difficult times have eventually become something positive. I never have heard an audible voice from God but I do believe in God's presence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spiritual director reminds me frequently that God has big shoulders and can take whatever anger I vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Auntees and Jeffri, thank you. God has large shoulders, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kvetch all the time at God, especially at things falling over in the kitchen for no reason, at not being able to find my keys, and at missing buses or trains. I usually apologise afterwards because I know it's not God's fault. But I don't think God minds. In fact I suspect half the time God thinks it is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God and me are having quite a go-round just now and the timing of your post is a tip for us to keep the conversation going ... it will lead to a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, Gawd be laughin', I'm sure.

    Joanna, keep the conversation going between you and God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit I'm getting worn down by the amount of God-hatred out there (which, since it can't quite be acknowledged as "God-hatred"---"God not existing" n' all---quickly gets transferred into "(All)believers-in-God-hatred").

    The Numero Uno is example is the blog Joe.My.God. I love it too much to give it up---it has up-to-date news on the LGBT community that will take days or weeks to be reported elsewhere, if ever---but the CONSTANT mocking of faith (and open contempt for believers, inc. me, if I acknowledge it) just gets so tiresome.

    As far as ME getting angry at God---well, it would probably be better for my spiritual life if I did (more often). Generally-speaking, I (personally) find anger a really healthy emotion (depression, in contrast :-( ).

    Hey God: for saddling me w/ depression, f@ck you! ;-X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pfft . . . I'm angry at everyone all the time about everything. All this namby-pamb "working through it" -- you suck it up, buy tons of anti-acids, and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JCF, I'm amused by the folks who hate the god that they think doesn't exist. And there are those who think great harm has been done by people who believe in God, so, since God doesn't exist, they project their dislike onto all believers, making no distinctions amongst people of faith. The mistake is for them to view us all as cut from the same cloth.

    It's surely true that great damage has been done in the name of God, but it's also true that great damage has been done by atheists and agnostics.

    Mark, are you really angry all the time? That's not good for your health. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey God: for saddling me w/ depression, f@ck you! ;-X

    I'm afraid that as a conclusion to JCF's thoughts on the matter this has made me snort with laughter every time I read it. Probably because he's obviously just decided out of the blue to have a go at saying it on the off-chance it might help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark, are you really angry all the time? That's not good for your health. :-)

    I know, I know, it's terrible for me . . . and that really pisses me off!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.