Saturday, January 8, 2011

PLAN V. REALITY

THE PLAN:

1. Take Grandson and Granddaughter Christmas shopping. The two wanted to pick out their own gifts, and we did not have time to do so before Christmas, as they were at their mom's house.

2. Take Granddaughter to her friends house for the gathering before the Sadie Hawkins dance at her school (her first date!)

3. Bring Grandson to my house to stay until his dad got off work.

Simple.

THE REALITY:

1. Arrived at the home of GD and GS to learn that GD had typical symptoms of a bladder infection, so we had to make a detour to the Urgent Care Clinic. TBTG for the clinic, because we avoided the nightmare of the ER. Indeed, GD had a high infection count.

2. While we waited our turn at the clinic, GS became bored and restless, so I called Grandpère to pick him up and prevailed upon him to take GS to the game store to buy his Christmas present.

3. Dropped off prescriptions at pharmacy.

4. Went to Walmart for items GD had to have.

5. Returned to my house to wait for medications to be ready.

6. Picked up prescriptions.

7. Returned to the home of GS and GD to pick up GD's clothes for the dance and for spending the night at her friend's house and to pick up GS's game player, so he could play his new game at my house.

8. No time for Christmas shopping with GD.

9. Finally ate lunch around 4:00 PM.

10. Took GD to her friend's house.

All for the love of the two pictured above in the pool from a few years ago. Not quite so simple as I planned, but all's well that ends well - I guess.

I know. This post is boring. But I feel better.

7 comments:

  1. Posts about love are never boring, Grandmère.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, exactly - in fact I was fascinated up till I got up to the bit where you claimed it was boring!! The best-laid plans, & etc.

    wv - dingo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The dingo ate my baby!"

    Cathy, WV seems to know who you are and where you're from. A little freaky, no?

    Thanks for your kind words. After a second look, my post seemed complaining and self-indulgent, but hey! - it's my blog, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very nearly quoted "The dingo ate my baby" myself. (Or was it "the dingo took my baby"?? I can't remember.)

    Oh, dear.

    Anyway, I don't think your post is complaining and self-indulgent. I think the collapse of your plans is entertaining and your closing words and piccie are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, Wikipedia tells the story of the origin of the phrase, which makes me regret my reference.

    Later, in a Seinfeld episode, a boring woman who has trapped Elaine at a party, refers to her fiancé and says, "Where's my baby? Where's my baby?" Elaine responds, "Maybe the dingo ate your baby," in her version of an Australian accent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I know the origin of the phrase!! It was a huge case that happened just before I left school. Every Australian knows the origin of the phrase. I've seen the Seinfeld episode too. And the film based on the case starring Meryl Streep, "Evil Angels". The case was completely stupid - it was always obvious that it was probably a dingo to blame. Women don't just murder their babies for no reason. People seemed to think at the time that a dingo wouldn't attack a baby, but they're wild dogs. Of course they would take a baby if they got half a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.