Monday, January 3, 2011

PLEASE PRAY FOR PAUL THE BB

From Paul:

I have had three root canals in as many months. This Tuesday I will have sinus surgery to drain all the infection and repair a deviated septum at the same time. They will be working in three sinuses on my right side. It is day surgery and Bill will be with me that day and night. The doctor will remove plastic stents when I see him ten days later. So I will be out of commission for the next two weeks. Your prayers are requested and appreciated.

Between this and holidays and too many doctor appointments paychecks have been slim and medical expenses high. I give thanks that I am insured and still employed and think of those who lack work and seek it, those without insurance, those who are homeless. Let us hold them in our hearts also and seek to make our social systems better.


O God, the strength of the weak and the comfort of sufferers: Mercifully accept our prayers, and grant to your servant Paul the help of your power, that his sickness may be turned into health, and our sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Three root canal surgeries for tooth problems, even as he suffered from sinus problems. Poor baby. Better times await him!

Still Paul doesn't forget those who are less fortunate, so let us join with him to remember them in our prayers.

As a bonus, if you click on the link above to Paul's blog, you will find a delightful picture of his large family of children.

UPDATE: JCF said...

I also have a Problem Tooth, about which "Something Will Sooner-or-Later Have to Be Done": if you can spare any, I'd love some prayers as I discern this...

Of course, we will include you and your Problem Tooth in our prayers, JCF.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mimi. You are, as always, a total sweetheart. The surgery is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but since it's surgery on ME I have a very personal perspective. So many others suffer worse with fewer resources I really can't whine, but I appreciate all the love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, aren't you ever present for the rest of us when we need prayers and support? Every surgery on ME is quite personal. Remember my angst over simple cataract surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, Paul, you have been one of the most solicitous of the community to me in my illness, and you deserve every moment of the attention, not that one would wish it on you under the circumstances. So, you have all my prayers too, and I hope your tooths will soon be better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers.

    I also have a Problem Tooth, about which "Something Will Sooner-or-Later Have to Be Done": if you can spare any, I'd love some prayers as I discern this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, JCF, you have my profound sympathy and I pray you will have the guidance you need. May it resolve happily. It has been a bad tooth year for many of us.

    The root canals are all done and the latest one has calmed down from its trauma, so I am optimistic. Looking forward to "having the swamp drained" tomorrow - well, actually to it all being over with. Thanks for all the prayers.

    Cathy, how are you feeling? I've been wondering if you are recovering and praying for work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, thank you for asking - that's really kind :-) I am recovering, but this appears to be one of those nuisance flu bugs that likes to keep hanging around long after it first seems to signal that it is on the way out. I have some work this week (starting tomorrow) which I can't afford to cancel, really, so I'll take it quietly and see how it goes. The second half of January and beyond is still very sparse but that may be because no one was troubling themselves to look too hard at the upcoming work schedules while the festive season was on. So, bookings may pick up again from this week. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Cathy. I'll keep the prayers up on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really grateful, Paul, and I'll pray for you (and for JCF) :-) And with mighty Mimi praying too, all this pain and horrid stuff will pass, and then it will be nearly spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers for everyone, and especially prayers that this new year will bring better health to everyone in this blogosphere community. May sickness and all other bad things be banished as we move forward into a new decade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again for all the prayers. Surgery is completed and I am home. About to take another analgesic. Bill is looking after me. I look awful, with a nosebag that holds the gauze for normal bleeding, but glad to be home. The doctor will remove the packing tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, thanks be to God, the medical staff and all who care for you, especially the chief care-giver, Bill.

    Thanks for letting us know. Hugs, kisses and more prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, wot Mimi said. Glad it all went okay :-)

    Re my job situation, it turns out today that one of the staff on one of the sections I work on at the paper fell over in what appears to have been a drunken incident on Boxing Day and broke her shoulder. I hesitate to ascribe this result to the mighty intercessions of my friends at Wounded Bird or indeed the actions of God but the net result is I've now got about twice as much work for the rest of January as I had before because they need people to cover for her while she recuperates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy, that's good news on the job front for you, but not for your colleague.

    Fess up now, readers! Who prayed for Cathy's co-worker to fall and break her shoulder? That's not right, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, maybe I crept up behind her and gave her a leeeeeetle push ...

    No, that's not true at all, I did nothing of the kind. It isn't good for her, Mimi, you're quite correct. I don't think it's how God answers prayer either. But it's worked out okay for me. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.