Monday, February 7, 2011

ONE DOCTOR VISIT - TWO TRIPS


Today, my granddaughter, pictured to the left when she was 3 years old, who is now 15, had a doctor's appointment, and the plan was for me to take her for the visit. I went to her school to check her out, and I was told that the proper procedure was to send a note on the morning of the appointment. In GD's case, she became ill over the weekend, so the appointment was made only this morning. Of course, I am only the grandmother and remain out of the loop for certain information on the rules of the schools of my grandchildren. And either my son or I could have called ahead to let the school know, but we did not.

Anyway, the students were at lunch recess, and no one was going to hunt GD down in all the nooks and crannies from amongst the 500 students at the school for anything short of a dire emergency, and a regular doctor's appointment did not fall in that category. The secretary said that the kids would be back in class in about 10 minutes. I called the doctor's office to see if we could come some minutes later, but the receptionist said that the doctor would be at lunch. She was kind enough to schedule us for later in the afternoon. "Oh well," I thought, "one trip for nothing."



Howevah! On the way home, I saw a Great Blue Heron in flight followed by the bird's landing in a nearby tree. Beautiful! The trip was not for nothing.

After a delicious lunch cooked by Grandpère, I headed back to the school, to the doctor's office, to the pharmacy to drop off the prescription, to my house to wait for the medication to be ready, and finally to take GD to her house, because it was too late to return her to school.

Another plus to having a busy day was that I had my mammogram on Friday, and even after 25 years, I tend to be a little anxious as I wait for the results, but I didn't even think about the mammogram today, and around 4:30 the doctor's office called to say that everything was fine. Thanks be to God.

The weather here is cold (still!) with a nasty north wind blowing.

I don't even know why I write these boring accounts of the trivia of my day, except that, at my age, I'm still somewhat taken aback to still be doing this sort of running around with children and teenagers.

Anyway, I gave you two pictures to spice up the post a little. I found the picture of the tiny ballerina while going through old papers. How 'bout that bright red lipstick?

9 comments:

  1. Love that Heron! And the Grand daughter is just lovely! I didn't notice bright red lipstick until you brought it up, so I embiggened the picture and still don't think it's so bright red.

    Glad you had the Mimmogram! My radiologist always tells me the results right there at the lab. I get a report on a piece of paper. Instant results.
    They should not make you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. susan, it's odd, but the bright lipstick is the first thing I noticed about the picture.

    And I'm relieved the mammogram is out of the way for another year. Only the dentist left to go for maintenance of me.

    Leonardo, thanks. The heron in flight was gorgeous, and my granddaughter is still a pretty young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi,
    For what it is worth -- you could come and pick up your granddaughter at my school anytime -- as long as you are on the list provided by the parent and we would go get her. If the staff does not know each student in a group of 500 then the administartor might think about getting staff that take the time to now the stundents. We exist for one purpose an d one purpose only -- the student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred, I'm not complaining about the school's rules, just that I don't know the rules. If the school had known I was going to pick up my granddaughter, she would have been waiting for me in the office. I am on the approved list, so there's no problem there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I had been concerned about leaving "my" Blue Heron in DE but I see at least one of them has flown to NOLA to be with you.

    They are absolutely magnificent, aren't they?

    I love it when you write about your day. It's not at all boring, June. Honest. It just reveals a bit more of who you are and what you love. That's never boring. It helps make sense of all the other stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, thank you for your kind words.

    At the moment, I've had a bit too much of writing about churchy stuff, especially. I read, but I mostly have not much to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute piccie of GD and I am also glad to hear the mammogram revealed an all-clear, Mimi. I am not bored by your accounts of your day either - you're going to have to try harder. Love the heron, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, thanks. I believe the pictures saved the post, but your words are appreciated.

    Yesterday, I did not leave the house. I can't do that sort of running around every day. It's exhausting. It was exhausting even when I was a lot younger.

    OTOH, when I'm traveling, the adrenalin seems to flow to keep me going at a rather fast clip. Tom has never been able to work out where I get my energy when we travel, because I wear him out - and he's the energetic one in the family.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.