Thursday, February 17, 2011

OUR VERY OWN GRAMMY WINNER


From the Daily Comet:
CHOUPIC — Randy Ellis, holding a sweating can of Dr. Pepper, was watching the happenings of his quiet north-Lafourche neighborhood from the confines of his porch swing Tuesday.

His screen door was open, flooding his house with mid-afternoon light and the first mild spring breeze of the year.

“I’ve never been a good story teller,” he insisted. “I’m just a road guy.”

But only three days ago, Ellis was on the red carpet at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, making his way to the award ceremony where he and his bandmates learned they had won a Grammy.

Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band won a Grammy for the best zydeco or Cajun music album. The group received the award for their most recent album, Zydeco Junkie. Ellis, 41, is the band’s guitar player.

The small community of Choupic, where Randy lives when he's not on tour, is a few miles down the road from Thibodaux, and I can tell you, it's in the swamp.

The video shows our boy Randy singing with the group.




Chubby and the Bayou Swamp Band with their Grammys.



The CD of Zydeco Junkie may be purchased at their website, and the Mp3 is available at Amazon or at the iTunes Store.



My favorite song on the album is "Jalapeno Lena". I gave Madpriest the Mp3 version of the album. If we're lucky, he may post a podcast of some of the songs, maybe even "Jalapeno Lena".

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, homeboy!

    [Isn't it amazing, how the homeboy/homegirl factor matters? I've seen the reporter Lisa Ling (whose sister Laura was held captive in N. Korea a couple of years ago) for years, but only since moving "home", have I known she was FROM here. Now when I see her, I exclaim "She's from Carmichael! She went to (my high school's rival) Del Campo!" *LOL*]

    ReplyDelete
  2. JCF, my daughter went to high school with Randy.

    And I attended LSU with Rex Reed.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.