Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THE ANGLICAN COVENANT AS FRUITCAKE

The elements of the Chicago Lambeth Quadrilateral and the Marks of Mission, and bits of Scripture and dollops of assorted Anglican Premises have been folded into the batter of the Anglican Communion Covenant like so many raisins, candied citrons, cherries, and whatever those semi-gelatinous green things are, go to form part of the conglomerate of Fruitcake.

From Tobias Haller at In a Godward Direction.

My conclusion as to whether we should adopt the covenant is a bit different from that of Tobias, but his analogy is excellent.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, chere Mimi. The picture looks like my favorite Collins Street Fruitcake. We usually order in time for Christmas, but it usually arrives a week or so early, and rarely makes it to the actual holiday! I actually do like Fruitcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobias, I like fruitcake, too. Before I turned lazy, I made a tasty fruitcake in an angel food cake pan that looked very much like the cake in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alton Brown has a recipe for a great fruitcake, with real dried fruit and none of that candied stuff with FD&C red #5. That one is no Anglican Fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT, my recipe includes both kinds of fruit, dried and candied, and I confess that I like the taste of the poisonous candied fruit in the cake. I am somewhat of a sugar junkie, which is probably the reason.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.