Sunday, March 13, 2011

BISHOP KATHARINE VISITS THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF ALBANY

From John White at Openly Episcopal in Albany:
The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church addressed a gathering of clergy and their spouses at the diocesan Spiritual Life Center on Friday, March 11. Bishop Love summarized the visit by observing “I’m sure some of you are thrilled that Bishop Katharine is here with us, and some of you are less than thrilled.” Dr. Christopher Brown, the preacher, turned to the Presiding Bishop and, looking over his glasses, reminded our visitor that “Many of us have sometimes disagreed with you. Even in print.”

The Most Reverend Katharine Jefferts Schori rose above such a lukewarm welcome by inviting the congregation, our diocese, and the wider Church into a deeper conversation. The word comes from Latin, she reminded us, a combination of con and verso, meaning a turning or a reconsideration. In AD 1300 the word meant “to spend time with,” or to be a member of the same community with another person. “That is what we are about as leaders of the Church, to build community where others come to know the image of God in us. Conversation is what we are meant to be.” Our job as Christians is “to foster a holier conversation” and then to take that conversation out into the world.

Read the rest of John's account at his blog.

In my mind, I transfer the scene to my house. As I greet a guest who has been invited to a gathering in my home, I turn to the others present and say, “I’m sure some of you are thrilled that So-and-So is here with us, and some of you are less than thrilled.” Is there any way that I can view my greeting as gracious and welcoming? I think not. Simple courtesy is always in order when greeting an invited guest.

UPDATE: Perhaps my analogy of Bishop Katharine's visit to the Episcopal Diocese of Albany to a gathering in my home was not entirely apt, because Bishop Katharine's was an official visitation to the diocese, which is a mandate in her role as Presiding Bishop. Still, is courtesy ever out of order?

11 comments:

  1. As with most of the truly inhospitable they don´t know good manners from bad--this appears to be the case with the remark of a social/spiritual lummox of a ¨greeter¨ who lifted his leg in the living room claiming his favorite ¨place to stand¨...happily there was room for others to make themselves comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonardo, this account boggles my mind. Bp. Katharine set a fine example with her gracious and dignified response, not returning like for like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Simple courtesy is always in order when greeting an invited guest."

    As Jesus reminded Simon the Pharisee in Luke 7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not having been there myself, this sounds rather mild to me, given what could have happened. Remember that the PB is not an "invited guest" but is the Primate of the Episcopal Church engaged in carrying out one of the mandates of the job: an official Visitation to every Diocese of the Church. So this was not a social call. Albany is not South Carolina, and Bill Love is not Mark Lawrence, but this Albany is still a diocese with a good bit of resistance to all that +Katharine stands for.

    More importantly, she can take it -- and I'd rather disagreements be out in the open rather than smothered in politeness to the point of hypocrisy. This actually gave her an opportunity to be truly gracious and get a message across. Hardly "standing in a crucified place" but well worth her good efforts.

    wv = scaduce

    v. to traduce by scads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tobias, thanks for the clarification. Still, Bp. Love's comment seems rather rude to me. Of couse, I'm from the South. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think his remark was extremely rude. If he wanted to acknowledge there had been disagreement there were other ways to phrase it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katharine, as always, was the epitome of graciousness. I think she taught a magnificent lesson by not returning a negative comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tobias, I agree that the Latin lesson was a fine touch.

    As for Bp. Love, perhaps I've said enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As one who is a member of the Diocese of Albany, past Sr Warden of my parish ( one which supports TEC fully) and a member of Integrity, I was glad that The PB was finally able to come to Albany and see and hear first hand how this Diocese of Albany operates. I saw her on Sunday morning at our Cathedral and she was gracious and gave a most wonderful sermon. I hope that many who were there heard and were made more aware that the Episcopal Church is moving in God's way and that there is more out there than Albany! It always too bad when Bishop Love feels that he has to qualify thingsin his own passive agressive way. But Bishop Katharine handled it all with the grace of the Lord!
    Richard Angelo
    St Andrews Church Albany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richard, thanks for weighing in. It's always good to hear from folks on the scene. Know that your diocese and a few others are on my daily prayer list.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.