Monday, March 14, 2011

DR JOHN NAMED TO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

From NOLA.com:
New Orleans musician Dr. John has been named to the 2011 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He is joined by Neil Diamond, the Alice Cooper Band, Darlene Love and singer-songwriter Tom Waits.
....

Dr. John, born Malcolm Rebennack, spoke with Rolling Stone about his "surprise" at being inducted.
"I was very surprised. I couldn't imagine who could possibly be in this year, but I was thinking it would be Alice Cooper and I figured Joe Tex and Darlene Love deserved it too. I really didn't know who it would be. Thinking of myself, just the way things go, I figured I wouldn't get in. I was very surprised. It's very gratifying."

Other New Orleanians in the Hall of Fame include Fats Domino, Dave Bartholomew, Allen Toussaint, Mahalia Jackson, Professor Longhair, Jelly Roll Morton, Lloyd Price and drummer Earl Palmer.



Wonderful video! Ain't it great to watch Dr John singing and to see his hands as he plays at the same time? His fingering on the piano keys is amazing.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mimi. He's simply amazing on the piano. He makes it look so simple and easy, but what he does with those keys is sooooo hard. Playing and singing simultaneously is a feat in itself, it’s like patting you head and rubbing you tummy. It was fun watching this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off-topic: since MP doesn't seem to be around for his Prayer List, I just wanted to offer a THANKSGIVING---

    After 6 weeks of being on pins&needles (esp. the last few days, dreading bad news), TODAY I found out I was ACCEPTED for health insurance! Yay! TBTG! (And also TBT my dad, who's paying for unemployed moi's insurance. But he was also the one who insisted I apply. I was most afraid of upsetting him, if I'd been rejected.)

    I've been w/o for *5 years*, so this is a BIG load-off my mind . . . but prayers for those still w/o.

    [Just yesterday at church, we heard one such HORROR story, of the sort that---despite "Health Care Reform" last year---is STILL happening. A churchmember's sister had gotten cancer. Too sick to work then, she lost her insurance. How can this cockamamie BS still be happening??? Argh! >:-0]

    Still 'n' all, *I* will sleep a little better tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. BooCat, I'm so happy I found this video. The sound isn't half bad, either.

    JCF, I am soooo happy for you that you have health insurance. I'm sure it's a HUGE load off your mind. Sleep well! You're right. Still too many fall through the cracks. It's a damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back again, to ask for more prayers for my friend Cath. I've heard from her sister, and she's not doing at well at all. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mimi, MP has been silent for days now and it's not like him. Is he ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF, I'll post a prayer request for Cathy as soon as I can.

    Chelliah Laity, I haven't heard anything from MP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Dr. John.
    Great that JCF has insurance now!
    Prayers for Cath.
    Maybe MP's been out and about.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.