Thursday, March 31, 2011

A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND

From NOLA.com:
The Rev. Roy Bourgeois, the Lutcher native and peace activist excommunicated three years ago for publicly supporting the ordination of women as Catholic priests, now faces expulsion from his religious order and from the priesthood as well, his superiors have told him.

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic. It's surely the loss of the Roman Catholic Church and the Maryknoll Fathers. I've long had Fr Roy's quote on my sidebar: "Silence is the voice of complicity.".
Bourgeois and Mike Virgintino, a spokesman for the Maryknolls, a missionary order of priests, confirmed that “with much sadness” the order earlier this month served Bourgeois written notice that he must publicly recant his support for women’s ordination by Saturday.

Without his compliance, a second warning will be issued, followed by the Maryknoll’s request to Rome that Bourgeois be dismissed from the order and “laicized,” or defrocked after 38 years as priest, Virgintino said.

Bourgeois said in an interview from his home in Columbus, Ga., he cannot, as a matter of conscience, recant his belief that women are called to the Catholic priesthood.

“They’re asking me to tell a lie,” he said. “To exclude women from the priesthood is a grave injustice to women, to the church, and to God.”

The authorities in the Roman Catholic Church, indeed, do a grave injustice to women to deny their call to serve as priests. Perhaps, we can persuade Fr Roy to serve in the Episcopal Church.

He worked as a Maryknoll missionary in Latin America. Living among impoverished peasants in Bolivia -- where he was kicked out -- and later in Guatemala and El Salvador, he came to feel that American foreign policy’s support for their governments was deeply anti-Christian. His anger coalesced around the School of the Americas, an Army institution at Ft. Benning that Bourgeois and other activists said taught Latin American military officers techniques, including torture, for suppressing the poor.

Defenders of the school, now called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, said the school taught military officers the values of democracy.

Bourgeois founded an organization called SOA and for years traveled the country speaking out against the school and building support to have Congress to close it. He has been arrested at least three times and served nearly four years in jail for trespassing on the base during protests. He described his support for women’s ordination as a justice issue, of a piece to the rest of his life’s work, rather than a theological issue.
(My emphasis)

Amen! I view my support for equality in the policies on ordaining women and LGTB persons as a matter of justice.

From "About us" at SOA Watch:
SOA Watch is an independent organization that seeks to close the US Army School of the Americas, under whatever name it is called, through vigils and fasts, demonstrations and nonviolent protest, as well as media and legislative work.

On November 16, 1989, six Jesuit priests, their co-worker and her teenage daughter were massacred in El Salvador. A U.S. Congressional Task Force reported that those responsible were trained at the U.S. Army School of the Americas (SOA) at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

Recently, I noted the feast day of Óscar Romero and the martyrs of El Salvador.

Fr Roy's home town, Lutcher, Louisiana, is across the Mississippi River, not far from Thibodaux, and he has family there, including his 97 year old father. He is a homeboy whom I have long admired.

8 comments:

  1. It does sound as though he belongs in our camp. It's a terrible shame that someone with such deep beliefs is not viewed as fit to serve God. I doubt if I could do what he has done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia, I know I couldn't do what Fr Roy has done - and then to be thrown away....

    ReplyDelete
  3. He described his support for women’s ordination as a justice issue ... rather than a theological issue

    See, I disagree here: I believe the two (justice and theology) are INSEPARABLE.

    What kind of god would make half of humanity that---by virtue of their second X chromosome alone---would therefore be DENIED a call to ordained ministry? A call they would nevertheless, in their thousands and millions, PERCEIVE anyway? [That god could go to hell! >:-0]

    It's a profoundly theological question: do we believe/follow/worship a Just God, or unjust god?

    [The Holy Trinity: calling women to ordination in the Episcopal Church. Accept no substitutes! :-)]

    ReplyDelete
  4. But yes: if the Popoids won't have Fr Bourgeois, I'm certain TEC will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JCF, I see what you are saying, that theology - the nature of God - would necessarily come into the picture, if one believes that God is a just God.

    Perhaps Fr Roy and I simply wish to avoid theological nit-picking by saying the ordination of women is a matter of justice. Of course, I can't speak for him, only for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he would consider it --thanks for this story Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well personally, I don't think the question of whether God is Just, to be a nit-pick.

    The dividing of the two---justice vs. theology---is something that conservatives have done for years: "Oh you liberals. You only believe in 'justice'. You would turn the Church into just another social-service organization! Where's JeeZus?"

    I only commented on Fr Bourgeois's (otherwise outstanding) witness, because I fear he was playing RIGHT INTO this (non-Biblical!) dichotomy.

    You don't GET the God of the Bible w/o Justice (and Mercy, of course). The Ethic of Social Justice (inc. gender justice) IS the Ethic of the Gospel . . . and we should SAY so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. margaret, I'd welcome him with open arms.

    Well personally, I don't think the question of whether God is Just, to be a nit-pick.

    Nor do I, JCF. I could not relate to a God who I thought was unjust.

    I reckon I don't know enough about the non-biblical dichotomy that conservatives use to bolster their arguments to recognize it when I see it.

    In your last paragraph, you are preaching to the converted. I'm just saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.