Wednesday, March 9, 2011

THE WORD FROM CHINA ON CHARLIE SHEEN

From the Beijing Global Times:
Actor Charlie Sheen is a classic example of the difference in Western and Eastern values and norms.

Ignoring public pleas from his father, Sheen has continued a weeklong media blitz, exhibiting obvious signs of mania. With no firm hand to guide them, Western media has deliberately goaded him into making increasingly delusional statements, more concerned about "winning" higher ratings than Sheen's own sense of pride, or the negative example his brash public admissions about his private sex life and unverifiable international conspiracies could be setting for society.
....

As much as Sheen has lived a life most Chinese men can only fantasize about, our admiration of him can only go so far. He has not only lost face with his public rants, but also crossed a cultural barrier no Chinese can abide.

He ignored his own father's advice to keep quiet, who was once the president of the US. Sheen is a disgrace, unfilial to his father and his fatherland.

Martin Sheen should at once go on television and tearfully apologize on behalf of his son for his inability to keep up appearances and keep his mouth shut.

Thanks to Paul (A.) for the link via Americablog. Paul (A.) says:

I didn't know that his father had been President of the U.S.

And it's a shame that he can't afford two houses for his two
mistresses.

I must have been asleep during Charlie's father's presidency, because this is the first I hear of it, too.

11 comments:

  1. I don´t know-- Charlie Sheen does act-out like anyone of the Bush children (presidential father or son)...easy mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonardo, right. An easy mistake. Perhaps the entire article is tongue-in-cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, we all know him as the son of President Batlett.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, Paul. Martin was not POTUS, but he played one on TV.

    Watching Charlie Sheen is like watching a whale beach himself.

    One wonders why both happen - and why we watch either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps the reporter thought "The West Wing" was a reality show.

    Actually, I enjoyed the show and Martin Sheen as President Batlett(sic).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many of us wished West Wing were reality and Shrub were not.

    [My, that double subjunctive contrary to fact sounds strange.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, that's why I loved the show. It was my pretend time. I watched the show with "if only" perpetually in the back of my mind.

    What a wretched 8 years it was with Shrub!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chinese are quite right. Red lanterns are so much more discreet than two beds in one room scenario.

    What would David Vitter do, I wonder?

    Sheen has been an embarrassing train wreck this past couple of weeks. One feels for his father and family and, when the balloon eventually bursts, for him.

    Matt Kennedy has linked this thread from Stand Firm, with the header "Local Episcopal Priests Pray for Charlie Sheen". The wit of some folks beggars belief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would rather Martin Sheen had been president than some other recent incumbents.

    Charlie Sheen either has bipolar or has taken way too many drugs. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vitter goes to the lady's house. Much more discreet to visit a house of prostitution, don't you think?

    I'm headed to church to be reminded that I'm dust, so I don't have time to check the link now, but I will later. I can only imagine!

    Cathy, remembering Shrub makes me appreciate Obama, although he's not all I'd want him to be. President Martin Sheen compromised, too.

    Something big is wrong with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lapin, I had to find the link at SF for myself, because I could hardly believe the title of the post by Little Matt. But 'tis true.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.