Sunday, August 28, 2011

'GOODNIGHT IRENE' - LEADBELLY



A wonderful 1943 version of the song by the late, great Leadbelly, folk and blues musician.
Although Lead Belly most commonly played the twelve-string, he could also play the piano, mandolin, harmonica, violin, concertina, and accordion. In some of his recordings, such as in one of his versions of the folk ballad "John Hardy", he performs on the accordion instead of the guitar. In other recordings he just sings while clapping his hands or stomping his foot.

The topics of Lead Belly's music covered a wide range of subjects, including gospel songs; blues songs about women, liquor and racism; and folk songs about cowboys, prison, work, sailors, cattle herding, and dancing. He also wrote songs concerning the newsmakers of the day, such as Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adolf Hitler, Jean Harlow, the Scottsboro Boys, and Howard Hughes.


(From Wikipedia)
Thanks to Kathryn on Facebook for posting the video, which, of course, I had to have for Wounded Bird.

9 comments:

  1. Please help me by reading my appeal on my profile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Majid, and I clicked on the ads, too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi, the worst passe by and the damage is minimal here in St James parish. No problems at the rectory and at the church only one section of the lower basement had about an inch of water due to an overflow in a drain. Otherwise all is well.

    Searching for a wet-vac, and otherwise sane and secure,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tobias, thanks for reporting in. I'm pleased you came through with little damage. I imagine wet-vacs are in great demand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please pray for Elizabeth Kaeton, as she doesn't know how her house came through the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF, of course I will. In fact I've already prayed.

    Vermont and the Catskills are flooding badly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mimi, I'd forgotten what a deep and resonant voice he had. A

    ReplyDelete
  8. All is well here. Dry air caused Irene to say goodnight a lot faster than expected. Thank God. The rain did enough damage as it was. Liked the Leadbelly version. So used to The Weavers as a standard and it held up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arthur, I think like Leadbelly's version of the song better than Pete Seeger's, although Pete's is the one I heard and liked first.

    Amelia, I'm glad to hear all is well where you are. Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.