Friday, September 23, 2011

NOT FAIRIES, BUT FANTASTIC

From a long article on an interview by Michael Powell with Richard Dawkins in the New York Times:
Does this man, arguably the world’s most influential evolutionary biologist, spend most of his time here or in the field? Prof. Richard Dawkins smiles faintly. He did not find fame spending dusty days picking at shale in search of ancient trilobites. Nor has he traipsed the African bush charting the sex life of wildebeests.

He gets little charge from such exertions.

“My interest in biology was pretty much always on the philosophical side,” he says, listing the essential questions that drive him. “Why do we exist, why are we here, what is it all about?”
All right, Dawkins ain't out there digging. He's a philosopher of science or a scientific philosopher. (I'm not sure I have the terms correct.) Anyway, he's a thinker.

Dawkins is reluctant to lecture in places like San Francisco or New York, because those cities are already bastions of godlessness. He prefers the Bible belt, where he's not preaching his brand of atheism to the converted.

The popular theory amongst certain scientists that altruism and cooperation within the group plays a part in the survival of certain species is not convincing to Dawkins.
Genes, he says, try to maximize their chance of survival. The successful ones crawl down through the generations. The losers, and their hosts, die off. A gene for helping the group could not persist if it endangered the survival of the individual.

Such insights were in the intellectual air by the mid-1960s. But Professor Dawkins grasped the power of metaphor — that selfish gene — and so made the idea come alive.
Dawkins on the progression of evolution:
Professor Dawkins’s great intellectual conviction is that evolution is progressive, and tends to lead to more and more complexity. Species, in his view, often arrive at similar solutions to evolutionary puzzles — the need for ears, eyes, arms or an octopus’s tentacle. And, often although not invariably, bigger brains.
....

So it would be no great surprise if the interior lives of animals turned out to be rather complex. Do dogs, for example, experience consciousness? Are they aware of themselves as autonomous animals in their surroundings?

“Consciousness has to be there, hasn’t it?” Professor Dawkins replies. “It’s an evolved, emergent quality of brains. It’s very likely that most mammals have consciousness, and probably birds, too.”
Praise be! I agree with Dawkins about consciousness in animals.
Critics grow impatient with Professor Dawkins’s atheism. They accuse him of avoiding the great theological debates that enrich religion and philosophy, and so simplifying the complex. He concocts “vulgar caricatures of religious faith that would make a first-year theology student wince,” wrote Terry Eagleton, regarded as one of Britain’s foremost literary critics. “What, one wonders, are Dawkins’s views on the epistemological differences between Aquinas and Duns Scotus?”

Put that charge to Professor Dawkins and he more or less pleads guilty. To suggest he study theology seems akin to suggesting he study fairies. Nor is he convinced that the ecumenical Anglican, the moderate imam, the Catholic priest with the well-developed sense of irony, is religion’s truest representative.

“I’ve had perfectly wonderful conversations with Anglican bishops, and I rather suspect if you asked in a candid moment, they’d say they don’t believe in the virgin birth,” he says. “But for every one of them, four others would tell a child she’ll rot in hell for doubting.”
(My emphases)
I expect that Dawkins is correct to say that there are Anglican bishops who would, in a candid moment, say they do not believe in the virgin birth, but, in fact, the lack of belief in a literal virgin birth would not necessarily undermine the whole basis for their faith.

And I wonder where Dawkins gets his numbers for the 4 to 1 ratio of Christians who would tell children they will rot in hell. From a study? From a poll? Could it be that the rot-in-hell types simply make more noise?
After two hours of conversation, Professor Dawkins walks far afield. He talks of the possibility that we might co-evolve with computers, a silicon destiny. And he’s intrigued by the playful, even soul-stirring writings of Freeman Dyson, the theoretical physicist.

In one essay, Professor Dyson casts millions of speculative years into the future. Our galaxy is dying and humans have evolved into something like bolts of superpowerful intelligent and moral energy.

Doesn’t that description sound an awful lot like God?

“Certainly,” Professor Dawkins replies. “It’s highly plausible that in the universe there are God-like creatures.”

He raises his hand, just in case a reader thinks he’s gone around a religious bend. “It’s very important to understand that these Gods came into being by an explicable scientific progression of incremental evolution.”

Could they be immortal? The professor shrugs.

“Probably not.” He smiles and adds, “But I wouldn’t want to be too dogmatic about that.”
Since I'm one of the impatient critics, help me here. To suggest that he learn a bit about theology before he denigrates it would be, for Richard Dawkins, like asking him why he doesn't study fairies. But wait! Dawkins ponders the distant future populated by creatures co-evolved with computers and possessing God-like qualities. These creatures are, for the present, only speculative possibilities, but, if they come into being, it will be by an evolutionary process which will be entirely explainable, presumably by the creatures themselves.

Perhaps I don't know enough about science, but the creatures described by Dawkins sound to me as scientifically fantastical as fairies or God.

Dawkins seems an affable fellow in person. Powell, the interviewer, calls him 'gracious'. Although the article is long, it is worth reading in its entirety. Don't forget the NYT limitation to 20 free visits per month to their online version. I feared I would run over my limit in the process of writing this post, which I probably shouldn't be writing anyway, because of my limited knowledge of science. But hey! I use a lot of quotes. Dawkins' description of future creatures caught my attention and was decisive in my determination, for better or for worse, to write the post.
Picture of Dawkins from Wikipedia.

UPDATE: Nicked from MadPriest.

22 comments:

  1. I'll go back to something I've said before: The God whose existence Dawkins denies is not the God of Christian theology.

    Maybe if he took the time to study theology he'd find himself out of a job and so doesn't want to take the risk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With his future universe populated by God-like creatures, he sounds rather like a Mormon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tobias, Dawkins doesn't want to hear it. He'll put his fingers in his and go 'Nah, nah, nah.'

    annski, I perked up when I read the description of the creatures of the future, part human, part computer. They remind me of the mythological part human, part animal creatures like centaurs, minotaurs, and mermaids. And why not the wee fairies and elves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what he'd do with Buddhism which is largely indifferent to the question of the supernatural, as are some of us Christians.

    The old 19th century positivism on a mission, and just as literal minded and stone deaf to the language of metaphor as his fundy antagonists.

    "Show me an angel and I will paint one," said Gustave Courbet

    "The camera will remain inferior to the brush so long as it cannot be used in heaven or hell," replied Edvard Munch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi, I fear I must point out that you have not identified the part of Dawkins's anatomy in which he would put his fingers before going "Nah nah nah".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Mimi, I'm sure I couldn't possibly comment :)

    I certainly wish somebody would put Dawkins out of a job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JCF, of course, wot Tobias said.

    Cathy, no comment, eh?

    Dawkins is emeritus at Oxford, but his books and lectures are his own affairs, from which no one can make him cease and desist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The old 19th century positivism on a mission, and just as literal minded and stone deaf to the language of metaphor as his fundy antagonists.

    Counterlight, yes, and there's no doubt he's a zealot on a mission.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly don't know where to begin. I'd understood Dawkins was a biologist, and the "selfish gene" an unfortunate popularization of his basic insight. Could it be my original critique of his theory was correct?

    And if he's a philosopher of science, I'm an accountant.

    Oh, feh, too much to work with here. Evolution is progressive? Mindless! Species "arrive" at answers to the "puzzle" of evolution? And what mind is behind all of that, Herr Doktor?

    Ridiculous!

    And consciousness is an emergent quality of brains? "Dial 'F' for Frankenstein," then! (an Arthur C. Clarke story about the very same theory of consciousness, but in machines). Why haven't computers achieved it yet, then? And it just "emerges"? Like, what, the 8th tentacle that makes the octopus not a septopus?

    O, the humanities! O, the ridiculosity!

    And for the record, Dr. Dawkins, my confession of faith doesn't depend on my confession of the validity of the Virgin Birth. Never did, never will. Please, please, please, stop setting up straw men and trying to force me to resemble them, will you? And I'll just leave you to your silly notions that you seem to think are science.

    Bah!

    (Thanks, Mimi. That was fun! :-) )

    Nomityab to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rmj, your comment was fun to read, and the post was fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many points here, and it's so late at night, and this thread is getting so old. But anyway--

    The opening of the cited piece is rather unfair to Dawkins. One does not have to get one's hands dirty in the field to do real work in evolutionary biology, though science does have a long and justified liking for dirty hands. You can dirty them in the lab or at the computer you use for the math of population genetics etc.

    And in fact Dawkins used to do real and respected science. Alister McGrath, DD (Oxford) and DPhil (Oxford also,in molecular biophysics, and that's how they spell PhD) has written a couple of books in rebuttal to Dawkins, and he starts out by paying his respects to Dawkins's scientific work, and I won't contradict him. I wish I could recommend the books, and they do contain good material, but I don't think they make a good answer.

    As to being a philosopher of science, the author doesn't seem to say Dawkins is necessarily a good one. In not being a very good one, he has lots and lots of company.

    I'll add an item to the analogies on Dawkins learning something of theology: telling him to learn what thoughtful Christians teach is like telling a creationist to learn what evolutionary ideas really are. No way! -- because that stuff, in each case, is so patently absurd that the Dawkinsite/creationist can't be bothered to waste time on it. (NB: not all value judgments here are my own; some are intended for, let us say, diversity.)

    In answer to Counterlight's question: He has considered Buddhism and every other religion with the same care as Christianity, and finds that they are all codswallop and dangerously bad reasoning, but Christianity is the one most popular and dangerous among the people who speak his language, so he concentrates on that. Hey, the last bit is quite logical.

    There's something weird in the bit about altruism and all. There is an actual, respectable, semi-quantitative body of theory about "kin selection", in which a genes for a trait harmful to the individual still propagate theselves successfully in the individual's close relatives. Dawkins cannot be unaware of this, and BTW it doesn't contradict his Selfish Gene meme. So I don't know what's going on there, but it may be the author's fault.

    There's no such thing as a meme -- pass it on. [joke]

    And the selfish gene is not a vulgarization, but Dawkins's own phrase, though no doubt it has been misused by others, who do not respect my opinion that it's already so bad that it doesn't need to be distorted.

    Arbitrarily, I'll now try to terminate this long and incoherent post before taking up emergent properties. The careful observer might infer that there are several pet subjects of mine here, so it's not easy to stop, but here goes nothi

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...He has considered Buddhism and every other religion with the same care as Christianity....

    With, as I see it, not very much care at all, which is what I see as Dawkins problem. He sets up a straw man and easily knocks him down. Anyone can do that.

    Dawkins is placed on so high a pedestal by his adoring fans, that I can't find it in me to spend time commiserating over the possible unfairness of the interviewer. Of course, I know that many excellent scientists never get their hands dirty.

    I'm also aware that I overreach a bit in daring to write posts like this one, but if Dawkins can be an acclaimed scientist, and the columns of David Brooks appear in the opinion section of the newspaper of record, then it's not such a terrible breach if a humble blogger overreaches on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go ahead and overreach! (Not that I have any say in it anyway.) There are many dull, cautious blogs I could read if this one were not of far more interest.

    I fear, and rather feared at the time, that my attempt at Fair and Balanced treatment of Dawkins would look too much like a defense, in spite of remarks on "others, who do not respect my opinion that [Dawkins's idea is] already so bad that it doesn't need to be distorted." That's life.

    BTW, the speculations on the future of Mankind make me think of the acrimonious exchanges, in which I am not taking sides, between J. B. S. Haldane, who had visionary ideas of the transformation of humanity into something quite different in order to survive and multiply, with C. S. Lewis, who had no use whatever for redesigning humankind. While I'm on a Lewis kick, I'd recommend his thoughts on what would be worse than extinction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As to being a philosopher of science, the author doesn't seem to say Dawkins is necessarily a good one. In not being a very good one, he has lots and lots of company.

    I wouldn't say a creationist is just a bad theologian, or a bad scientist. Complete ignorance of the field does not make one merely incompetent, after all.

    Dawkins may be a fine scientist, although I still question the reasoning behind the selfish gene theory (that's another matter), but his stone ignorance of the subjects of philosophy and theology don't make him bad at them; he simply knows not of what he speaks.

    There is a reason Dawkins' books on atheism are popular, but not widely regarded in the "professional" fields. It may be his selfish gene theory is more deserving of respect than I am able to give it (and for that I blame my education; but if I knew everything, it would take all the mystery out of life). But his ideas on theology and philosophy (of science, or anything else) are not even those of a first-year philosophy student.

    So I can easily discard him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Porlock, thanks. I'll check out C. S. Lewis, and I'm with him in having no use for redesigning mankind. We work with what we have.

    Rmj, I easily discard Dawkins, too, but I can't resist taking a poke at him from time to time. It's good therapy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GM, Lewis' _Out of the Silent Planet_ contains a biting and very amusing "debate" that is a pot-shot at Haldane. Somewhat unfair as a debate (as it is all Lewis' doing!) but it is a marvelous stripping down of the assertions of the Haldaneesque "progressivist."

    The "Space Trilogy" as it is sometimes called, is full of some wonderful stuff. I keep hoping someone might make a film of the last novel (That Hideous Strength), but then quail as I realize what a mess they might make of it. Peter Jackson, maybe... please?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tobias, thanks for the second. I'm heading right over to Amazon to put Lewis' book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great. "Out of the Silent Planet" takes place on Mars, "Perelandra" on Venus, and then the chickens come home to roost in "That Hideous Strength." Very much influenced by his buddy in the Inklings Charles Williams, and a bit by another buddy Tolkien (the language stuff in the first novel, and Merlin in the last). I think of it as Narnia for grownups, except grownups can get a lot out of Narnia too. I know I did, as those novels and stories were part of my return to an "adult" Christianity.

    Dawkins is still fighting a battle with a nursery Sunday School felt and glitter God.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Though not Amazon at $45, rather ChristianBook.com at $14.99 for 3 volumes in one.

    Dawkins is still fighting a battle with a nursery Sunday School felt and glitter God.

    Very good, Tobias.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.