Friday, November 11, 2011

HONORING OUR VETERANS


We honor our veterans best by serving them when they return from fighting our wars or leave the service. We honor them by providing compassionate and generous care for those who are broken in body, mind, or spirit, by providing opportunities for them to further their education or training, by providing jobs for them, so the numbers of homeless veterans don't grow. All the fancy, patriotic words in the world will count for nothing if we do not back up our words with actions. Veterans served in the military in place of the rest of us. I thank them from my heart for their service.

A Prayer for Veterans' Day

O Judge of the nations, we remember before you with grateful hearts the men and women of our country who in the day of decision ventured much for the liberties we now enjoy. Grant that we may not rest until all the people of this land share the benefits of true freedom and gladly accept its disciplines. This we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer)

5 comments:

  1. The Old Man (my dad) and I just got back from Applebee's "Vets Eat Free" deal! :-)

    JCF's Old Man (Y'know, when he wasn't. Old. Nor, as yet---for 20 more years!---my dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piccie of your Old Man, JCF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JCF, It's a good picture of a fine young man. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that's so humorous to me about the pic, is you know the phrase "Military Haircut"?

    My dad has MORE HAIR in this pic than I've ever seen him with at ANY time! [His hair was virtually gone by the time I was born, 20 years after this pic, nevermind now. ;-/]

    ***

    My dad can get on my nerves at times, but by and large, he's a pretty great guy.

    Spare him a prayer? At 91, health issues are starting to pile up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. JCF, I will pray for your dad. 91? Wow!

    Baldness runs in my family, too. In the men, I mean.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.