Thursday, December 22, 2011

HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE!

Sunrise at Stonehenge on the Winter Solstice

From Wikipedia:
The winter solstice occurs exactly when the axial tilt of a planet's polar hemisphere is farthest away from the star that it orbits. Earth's maximum axial tilt to our star, the Sun, during a solstice is 23° 26'. More evident from high latitudes, a hemisphere's winter solstice occurs on the shortest day and longest night of the year, when the sun's daily maximum elevation in the sky is the lowest. Since the winter solstice lasts only a moment in time, other terms are often used for the day on which it occurs, such as midwinter, the longest night or the first day of winter.

The seasonal significance of the winter solstice is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days. Depending on the shift of the calendar, the winter solstice usually occurs on December 21 to 23 each year in the Northern Hemisphere, and June 20 to 23 in the Southern Hemisphere.

Worldwide, interpretation of the event has varied from culture to culture, but most northern hemisphere cultures have held a recognition of rebirth, involving holidays, festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time.
Before I visited Stonehenge, I thought the stones were much larger. They're surely not small, but I thought they were gigantic.

9 comments:

  1. I really wish I had time to visit there while I was in England and Ireland in April. (Love the pic! It shows the size well.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciss, I should have known the size of the stones, because I'd seen pictures with people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More evidence that Revisionists are a bunch of heathens!

    Much smaller than I expected, as well. First time I saw it, we drove by on the A344, that goes right by it (surely, given its proximity, it ought to be diverted or buried) and it looked like a reduced-scale model. Would have looked a whole lot bigger if I'd been helping cart one of those stones all the way from West Wales, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was able to visit Stonehenge the last time I was in England - the entire area took my breath away - I felt as if I was on top of the world!

    ECOOS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, mea culpa.

    ECOOS, sometimes when we over-expect about a place, or anything, for that matter, we are disappointed. Our mistaken preconceptions predispose us to disappointment. Mea culpa again. The fault is not in the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring will be here in a few short weeks. No, honest :) The buds start appearing here in the UK in mid-Feb. Sometimes we get blossom at the end of Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've passed the turning point. Onward to spring!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.