Sunday, January 22, 2012

DEACON SERVES AS PASTORAL PRESENCE

From The Advocate in Baton Rouge:
At 60, Camille Carpenter Wood answered a calling to become a deacon in the Episcopal church.

“I come from generations of Episcopalians,” Wood said. “The church has always been important to me. I wanted to be sure that my children were always involved with the church.”
....

The journey to her ordination on Dec. 4, 2010, was both intense and lengthy.“It was a very gradual process,” Wood said. It began about 2007 at Baton Rouge’s Trinity Episcopal Church.
....

She joined the altar guild, became a Eucharistic minister, did readings as a lector and even served as senior warden for a while.

“The more I got involved, the more I just sort of had a passion to do more,” she said. “It led to other things. I truly felt a call. It’s hard to explain, but it’s something that kind of grabs you and takes over. You can’t deny it, really.”
....

After her ordination, Wood stayed at Trinity for almost a year as director of lay ministry, a position she had held even before she was ordained.

She was in Seattle at her niece’s wedding when Bishop Morris Thompson called her to serve as a pastoral presence at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Clinton.
....

Wood immediately accepted the bishop’s call. “I didn’t have to think about it,” she said. “It was not only something I needed to do but something I wanted to do.”

She has served the church since the first Sunday in September. She appreciates St. Andrew’s history of support for the local community, its history of serving the needs of the community.
The article about Deacon Camille Wood was featured on the front page of the Religion section of the Advocate, along with an article on the history of St Andrew's Church in Clinton, Louisiana.
Two retired priests, the Rev. Maggie Dennis, who is originally from Liberia, and the Rev. Don Brown, conduct services at St. Andrew’s three Sundays a month.

One Sunday a month, Wood leads morning prayer the way services were done at Trinity Episcopal Church, in Natchez, Miss., where Wood grew up.

“I grew up having morning prayer three time a month and Eucharist once a month,” she said. “We have morning prayer with hymns and sing canticles (songs taken from Biblical passages), and I give a homily. There is just no Eucharist because a deacon cannot consecrate the bread and wine.”
I expect we may see deacons acting as the permanent pastoral presence in Episcopal parishes more and more often. St Andrew's is blessed to have the service of Deacon Camille Wood and fortunate to have the same two priests presiding at the Eucharist, rather than an ever-changing roster of priests.

I've heard folks who are long-time members of the Episcopal Church and remember the period before the Eucharist became the norm for Sunday worship say they miss Morning Prayer. I love the Eucharist, and one reason I chose to attend the Episcopal Church after I left the Roman Catholic Church was because of the frequent eucharistic services. Recently, I've heard and read a good many discussions about the pros and cons of communion before baptism. I know that the Canons of the church say all baptized Christians are welcome to receive communion, but I also know that some Episcopal churches welcome everyone to communion, baptized or not.

Whether communion should or should not be available to all is not my point, but I wonder whether it might be a good thing to have a service of Morning Prayer at least once a month. All are welcome to participate in the entire service without question. No one is excluded. Especially when we've been between rectors and without a priest, I've wondered why we don't have Morning Prayer in my church, led by one of the two members of our congregation who are qualified to lead the prayers, rather than having a supply priest for every service.

11 comments:

  1. I am definitely in support of having morning/evening prayer offered more frequently. That tradition is what brought me really to the Episcopal Church- I needed the rhythm of prayer that it (and the rest of the prayer book) offered.

    To me, it's kind of sad to use morning prayer as the 'substitute' service for when there's no priest because then it makes it feel like a "lesser" service when, in fact, it's one of the most important ones because it is the consistent, regular offering of prayer and reading. The priest can be there for the service and even lead it, but the rhythm can continue even if there is no priest there. The key is that the services of the church *shouldn't* require a radical change if there is no priest other than not celebrating Eucharist. In fact, according to the prayer book (pg 406-407), the Holy Eucharist up to the offertory may be done in the absence of the priest with a few changes!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl Julian, you make an excellent point. Morning Prayer is not a lesser service. I haven't received a positive response when I've mentioned Morning Prayer, even as a substitute, so I have not pursued the matter further. The service is beautiful, as is Evening Prayer, and I'd like to see the services used more often. During Lent, we've had services of Evening Prayer, which I've enjoyed very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and his friends have a coffee hour and read Evening Prayer every Wednesday at our neighborhood parish church. They have on occasion had more people than on Sunday morning.

    Laity are the basic order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We invented MP without Eucharist as a norm in the colonial period because we didn't have enough priests to go around... Eucharist, especially on the Day of Resurrection (Sunday) is and always has been the norm... rather than skip Eucharist and have MP on a Sunday, why not elect someone from within the congregation/community to seek local ordination? It makes more sense than the liturgical band-aid of a visiting priest....

    Just thinkin'....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murdoch, that's interesting.

    margaret, so the Eucharist was the norm for Sunday services in the Church of England? I did not know that.

    About St Andrew's, they may not be able to afford a seminary-trained priest, but locally ordained priests usually have another source of income, right? We're going to have to make do in different ways, as congregations shrink, and funds dry up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And if the congregation, Deacon Camille, and the two band-aid priests are happy with the situation, why not leave it as it is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, history shows that in the 18th century in the Church of England the norm was about four communions a year (I believe that canon law at the time required at least three communions a year). In most parishes Morning Prayer was the norm. This tradition was not invented in the USA. The early Anglican missionaries simply exported the tradition they had inherited.

    In the churches I grew up in (in England), the main Sunday service (10.30) was Morning Prayer except for the first Sunday of the month when it was communion. There was a communion every week at 8.30 a.m. There was also a weekly Evensong at 6.00 p.m. This would have been the norm in most parishes in England (except for Anglo-Catholics) in the 1950 and 60s I think.

    If we want to make Sunday morning an evangelistic opportunity I think there is a strong argument to be made for having a non-sacramental service on a regular basis. We do it once a month at St. Margaret's and it has been very well received. I hope to move to having it twice a month before too long. Note that we always have an early communion for those who are committed to receiving communion on a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Here's a good summary of the development of our worship traditions:

    http://jgospel.net/faith/worship/anglican-worship.c32173.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim, thanks. It's good to know that I wasn't that far off in my knowledge of the Church of England. I'll check out your link.

    And I'm interested to know that your Morning Prayer service is working well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi, when I get a minute I'll email you details about what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim, your link was quite helpful as a brief overview of Anglican worship. There are a couple of typos that need to be corrected in the post.

    I await your email, but there's no rush. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.