Monday, January 2, 2012

FOR MY FRIEND MARGARET


Margaret and Joel are doing what needs to be done before heading out to their new home in the Episcopal Mission on the Cheyenne River Reservation, South Dakota, home to Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe. Today at her blog, leave it lay where Jesus flang it, margaret speaks of the move and about leaving Richmond, Virginia:

I have loved it here. Truly loved it. The people. The foods. The worship. It hurts to pull on these roots....

Perhaps I can braid them, clean them off and make them strong, and carry them with me as an unexpected gift. One body. One Spirit. One calling. One Lord. One faith. One baptism. One God. Through all and in all.

To the big sky country, big wind country, sight equal only to the horizon... a new river to come to know.

I am so ready. Got so much to do. Amen.
From the wonderful book, Dakota: A Spiritual Geography, by Kathleen Norris, who now spends half her time in South Dakota and the other half in Hawaii:
Communal worship is something I need; that it is an experience, not a philosophy or even theology. Whatever the pitch of my religious doubts, it is available to me for the asking. It seems a wonder to me that in our dull little town we can gather together to sing some great hymns, reflect on our lives, hear some astonishing scriptures (and maybe a boring sermon; you take your chances), offer some prayers and receive a blessing....
We all know that margaret needs communal worship, because she urges us each week, "G'wan. Go to church!" And nearly every Sunday, I follow her advice, because I, too, need communal worship, which is, indeed, a wonder. Margaret will preside and preach at the services in her churches. I have never heard margaret preach, but I have read her sermons, and I've read her blog for a number of years, and I have never been bored by what margaret writes. I rather doubt that the flocks in her new churches will be bored by her sermons. I just don't see it happening.
Almighty and everlasting God, from whom comes every good and perfect gift: Send down upon our dear margaret, and upon the congregations committed to her care, the healthful Spirit of your grace: and, that they may truly please you, pour upon them the continual dew of your blessing. Grant this, O Lord, for the honor of our Advocate and Mediator, Jesus Christ. Amen.
The picture is lifted from margaret's blog.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mimi --(weeping good tears) --thank you. In my fear and trembling as we prepare for this awesome move and self-doubt plays her ugly role in the more stressful and overwhelming moments, I remembered every other name I have been called! --and, yeah, boring was not one of them!

    Thank you a mountain of thank yous for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted in great love, margaret, in the certainty that you will be a blessing to your people in South Dakota, and that the people in your new home will be a blessing to you, Joel, and Mr Witty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Margaret, never boring. Sometimes comforting, sometimes challenging, often struggling, but never boring. Many blessings.

    And thank you, Mimi, for such a lovely post. Amen to the prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, you're welcome. I loved doing the post. I use the Prayer Book and mess with the prayers, an edit here, and an edit there, and sometimes, (dare I say it?) I like the edited version best. Still, I couldn't get to where I want to go without the path laid out for me by the BCP.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.