Sunday, January 15, 2012

RUTH ETTING - "AMERICA'S SWEETHEART OF SONG"


"If I Could Be With You"

Ruth's voice was lovely; she was beautiful; and she had a great singing style, which was ahead of its time, the 1920s and 1930s. The sound in the video is poor, but you can see her perform and compare her style to that of her accompanist, who sings the song straight.

Below is another video of Ruth singing with better sound quality.



MadPriest is such an inspiration...well, about music, anyway. A few days ago, he posted a podcast of Ruth singing "The Right Kind of Man", which shows off wonderfully well her lovely voice and great style. The first time around, Ruth did not choose the right kind of man, but rather a gangster. Read all about her at Wikipedia.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Lapin! I love it. I went back and forth between 'Harvest Moon' and 'Ten Cents a Dance' before I made my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful performance. Oddly enough, tho', I was thinking about her "Harvest Moon" just a couple of days ago.

    The Romney guys are going ape down here - two long, rambling recordings (anti-union; pro-life) clogging the answering machine this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a Romney commercial pops up on many a video at YouTube.

    If I were inclined to vote for Romney, the lengthy recordings might put me off.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.