Saturday, February 11, 2012

FEAST DAY OF FANNY CROSBY

Frances Jane Crosby (March 24 1820 – February 12 1915) usually known as Fanny Crosby, was an American lyricist best known for her Protestant Christian hymns. A lifelong Methodist, she was one of the most prolific hymnists in history, writing over 8,000 despite being blind since infancy. Also known for her preaching and speaking, during her lifetime Fanny Crosby was one of the best known women in the United States.

To this day, the vast majority of American hymnals contain her work [but not the 1982 Episcopal Church Hymnal]. Some of her best known songs include "Blessed Assurance", "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home", "Praise Him, Praise Him", and "To God Be the Glory". Because some publishers were hesitant to have so many hymns by one person in their hymnals, Crosby used nearly 100 different pseudonyms during her career.
From The Lectionary.

Alas, we should have at least a few of Fanny Crosby's many hymns in our hymnal.

PRAYER
O God, the blessed assurance of all who trust in you: We give you thanks for your servant Fanny Crosby, who, though blind from infancy, beheld your glory with great clarity of vision and spent her life giving voice to your people’s heartfelt praise; and we pray that we, inspired by her words and example, may rejoice to sing of your love, praising our Savior all the day long; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God in perfect harmony, now and for ever. Amen
Thanks to James on Facebook for the inspiration to note the feast day.

UPDATE: Paul (A.) reminds me that Fanny's hymns are included in 'Lift Every Voice and Sing II', which has a place in many Episcopal Churches.

Ann Fontaine points us to the post on Fanny Crosby at Speaking to the Soul.

29 comments:

  1. Sadly, LEVAS II is not 'ours'. I will correct the post to show that Fanny's hymns are included in 'Lift Every Voice and Sing II', which is present in many Episcopal Churches, if not ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann. I added a link to my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To God be the glory" is one hell of a rousing hymn when sung by an enthusiastic congregation. I remember it from when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of Fannie makes her look like one rather tough lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, absolutely. 'To God Be the Glory' when sung with gusto makes a joyful noise that could raise the rafters.

    Cathy, everyone looks so grim in old photographs. Picture-taking was an entirely serious business. No urging, 'Smile for the camera', on the subjects in the olden days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up on heavy doses of Fanny's hymns, being a devout Baptist boy. I cannot say I miss them at all, though I can still sing them. One of the stronger reasons I became an Episcopalian was to escape 19th century hymnody with its emphasis on American individualism and sentimentality. I do not mean to condemn the music, merely say it does not work for me. I'll take 17th-18th century hymns with more objective theology and more complex harmony, thanks. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's Pablito to rain on my parade. ;-) I like nearly all the sentimental old hymns, perhaps because we mostly did not sing them in the RCC. There's a kind of innocence about them that appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my friends who grew up in the churches who sang these hymns find them somewhat horrifying due to being associated with lots of hellfire sermons. So they have a PTSD reaction to them. I find them quaint and my grandmother who loved us unconditionally sang them around the house (though she did not go to church) so my associations are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks tough because she was blind and visited prisoners in jails. - She was tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand PTSD association between hellfire sermons and the hymns, but that was not my experience, either. I was singing ♫ 'Tantum ergo...' ♫ in church.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no doubting that Fanny was an evangelical revivalist, but she could write a good hymn. My Favourite of hers is not so well known - 'Praise Him, Praise Him, Jesus our Blessed Redeemer'. If you don't know it, folks, give yourself a treat and look for it on YouTube; it's a roof-raiser!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Tim, that was one we sang in the Methodist churches of the South that I attended. I can hear the tune in my head now, which I know isn't Fanny's composing as I believe she only wrote words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We use Complete Anglican hymns Old and New. She gets three in there, two we use, one I've never heard before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I note that Fanny is included in the calendar of saints only provisionally, as of now, and awaits final approval.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm rather allergic to many of Fanny's hymns because of the same association others have mentioned. Paul's comment particularly rings true with me. But since the piece was written, I must confess I've had several of those hymns running through my head. It's like one of those very annoying commercials on TV that becomes an ear worm that just won't quit.

    I'll trade you a Tantum Ergo for a "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home" anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, we have a deal. 'Tantum ergo' is my ear worm some days. I am not joking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ann has it right. I have a "mixed" response when hearing Crosby hymn. Back in Evangelical Land, of course, my bum was planted on a piano or organ bench, hammering out the tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. KJ, I can almost see you, but I want to have the picture right. Did you sing while you hammered out the hymns?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, "Tantum ergo" works for me. I love plainsong, Lutheran hymns, Isaac Watts, and the Wesleys. My reaction is definitely shaded by the whole evangelical package, not so much hellfire sermons but a very simplistic theology of very cheap grace and smugness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand. Really, I do. It's just that the hymns don't come with the baggage for me.

    Trust me. 'Tantum ergo' as an ear worm is not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Belated remark on 'Tantum ergo' as an ear worm. Not part of my religious experience, so no idea, but the first tune I found on You Tube is
    "Picardy", also used for the Anglican eucharistic hymn "Let all mortal flesh keep silent", which I find v. beautiful. Not the same tune?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lapin, that's the tune we sang. The Daughters of Mary do quite a nice version. I enjoyed singing along.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The words of "Let all mortal flesh" are a translation of a section of the Orthodox liturgy. The tune is a setting of a French carol, arranged by Vaughan Williams for Dearmer's English Hymnal. A pleasant setting for the cor Anglais here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Today, my earworm is 'To God Be the Glory'. Thank you, Fanny. I've had worse earworms.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.