Saturday, March 17, 2012

BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH


La Morte di Cesare di Vincenzo Camuccini è un quadro che si trova a Roma nella Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna

Since I was scheduled for a medical test on the morning, I did beware the Ides of March, but the test result was good, so I bewore (bewared?) for nothing, but how was I to know?  For the rest of the day, I was a bit groggy from the anesthesia and took no note of the ides.

Actually, 'beware' has no past tense because it is a so-called defective verb.

As for Caesar, he should have paid attention to the soothsayer.
Caesar:
Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.
Soothsayer:
Beware the ides of March.
Caesar:
What man is that?
Brutus:
A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.
PS: The ides refer to the approximate middle day of the month and thus do not necessarily fall on the 15th day.  I did not know that until today.

Image from Wikipedia.

9 comments:

  1. The ides falls on the 15th only in March, May, July, and October; otherwise on the 13th of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul (A.), thank you for the added information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or otherwise, the eighth day after the nones, which gives you the same result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the other hand, too much information tends to confuse me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beware - a mash up of "be wary (of)" so the past tense would be "was wary (of)" That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My urinary track (since you asked ;-), but all the test are done, and the results were good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Latin class we learned this rhyme:
    In March, July, October, May
    the Ides are on the fifteenth day.

    We were supposed to remember that in all other months it was the 13th. Paul A. beat me to the information, however. And we all rejoice that you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.