Wednesday, March 28, 2012

KING EDWARD VI PRAYER BOOK - 1549

 Our Lenten service this past Tuesday evening was from the King  Edward VI Prayer Book.  Edward was Henry VIII's son by his third wife, Jane Seymour.  Jane died from complications after childbirth not long after Edward was born.  Though Edward was crowned king, he never reigned, because he died at the age of 15 before reaching the age of maturity.

From The Book of Common Prayer - 1549:
 Although a formal break with the Papacy came about during the time of Henry VIII, the Church of England continued to use liturgies in Latin throughout his reign, just as it always had. However, once Henry died and the young Edward VI attained the throne in1547, the stage was set for some very significant changes in the religious life of the country. And so a consultation of bishops met and produced the first Book of Common Prayer. It is generally assumed that this book is largely the work of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer..., but, as     no records of the development of the prayer book exist, this cannot be definitively determined.
This Book of Common Prayer was not created in a vacuum, but derives from several sources. First and foremost was the Sarum Rite, or the Latin liturgy developed in Salisbury in the thirteenth century, and widely used in England. Two other influences were a reformed Roman Breviary of the Spanish Cardinal Quiñones, and a book on doctrine and liturgy by Hermann von Wied, Archbishop of Cologne.
This prayer book was in use only for three years, until the extensive revision of 1552. However, much of its tradition and language remains in the prayer books of today, as may be seen by even a cursory examination of the text.
 
Our priest presided at the Eucharist in the east-facing tradition, with his back to us.  As we read the words with the unfamiliar spellings, I had to suppress a giggle from time to time.  The congregation said little more during the service than, "And with thy spirite," in response to, "The Lorde be with you." I'd attended east-facing liturgies before but never using the 1549 prayer book, and I thoroughly enjoyed the service.  I wouldn't want to use the liturgy all the time, but it was a lovely experience. 

Our priest-in-charge has been creative in the weekly Lenten services.  Last week, we had a dinner Eucharist, in which we sat down to a regular meal in the middle of which the communion prayers were said and the elements passed around the dinner table.

13 comments:

  1. ALMIGHTIE God, unto whom all hartes bee open, and all desyres knowen, and from whom no secretes are hid: clense the thoughtes of our hartes, by the inspiracion of thy holy spirite: that we may perfectly love thee, and worthely magnifie thy holy name: through Christ our Lorde. Amen.

    The Collect is very like what we say now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that they didn't standardize the spelling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Among other reasons, I have no doubt that they monkeyed around with the spelling simply to justify lines of type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lapin, no doubt. And back in the day, there were probably few rules of standardized spelling. But how can you not like, "all hartes bee open"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fr. Dave celebrates facing East every Sunday. His congregation did it before he came and they must like it, otherwise there would be a change. He always says when people question it that he prays in the same direction as the congregation.

    BTW, I don't remember your blogging about your getting a priest-in-charge. Did y'all hire one or have you been supplied? I remember that you posted about the interviews, etc. when you were searching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. susan s. Ron (might just as well say his name; it's on our website.) was to be with us for only a short time, but his stay is extended into 2013. Yay! He's reitred and is with us on a half-time basis. He's great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mimi, I am beginning to sort thru the boxes of old Rel Ed stuff and I have several Eucharistic Services from ages past and I wonder if u would like to see them. They were put together by the Rev. Bill Wade who was Rel. Ed/Associate priest at Christ Church (Episcopal)in Exeter NH. Actually did them as the service of the Sunday, complete with old or copied vestments. My email is nijoc@aol.com.
    Rather than post your address, I could send them % of you to your parish. It was a great experience.

    Peace, nij

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mimi, I am beginning to sort thru the boxes of old Rel Ed stuff and I have several Eucharistic Services from ages past and I wonder if u would like to see them. They were put together by the Rev. Bill Wade who was Rel. Ed/Associate priest at Christ Church (Episcopal)in Exeter NH. Actually did them as the service of the Sunday, complete with old or copied vestments. My email is nijoc@aol.com.
    Rather than post your address, I could send them % of you to your parish. It was a great experience.

    Peace, nij

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nij, my email address is on my sidebar under my profile picture. I would like to see the old services.

    Or did you mean my home address rather than sending them as email attachments? If so, I'll email you the address.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I moved to Albion, MI, in 1999, the priest faced away (I really don't like the "Ad Orientum" conceit, historic or not. He was facing SOUTH, if you want to be directionally accurate!). I was shocked . . . but was told "There's a pillar of the church who says that if they pry the altar off the wall, he'll lie in the way."

    Well, you know *ME*, right??? ;-p I was hardly going to let THAT stand! [FWIW, I'd known "Ad Populam" for at least 25 years by then] But I was good. I cajoled. I persuaded. I offered CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I made suggestions...


    ...and by about (IIRC) 2002, the altar was off the wall, and the rector was facing We the Laity. Gathered round the Table. [w/o the threatened "pillar" speed-bump, I might add]

    I bet there are few at (rebuilt, post-fire 2007) St James who even REMEMBER the altar was ever nailed to the wall, staring at the priest's back, now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. JCF, when the altar on our 168 old year church was moved away from the wall, I was not attending the church, but I've heard there was weeping and wailing from some in the congregation.

    In our church, the presiding priest faces due west in an east-facing liturgy, but the term is not literally about direction. I prefer the priest facing the congregation.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.