Thursday, March 8, 2012

'NOW THAT I AM OLD AND GRAY-HEADED O GOD DO NOT FORSAKE ME'

From the Lectionary today:

PSALM 71:17-21
And now that I am old and gray-headed,
O God, do not forsake me, *
till I make known your strength to this generation
and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens; *
you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities, *
but you will restore my life
and bring me up again from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more; *
you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre for your faithfulness, O my God; *
I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you, *
and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long, *
for they are ashamed and disgraced who sought to do me harm.
Alas, I play neither lyre nor harp, but my lips will sing, and my tongue will proclaim God's righteousness.



The Fron Choir sing "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer".

8 comments:

  1. This psalm moved me today, too.

    Sing away Grandmere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice of hymn! --I believe we sang this same in last week, --but in Lakota!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Lakota! Reminds me of a visit to France when my mother said of the TV programs, "They're in French!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. theme, the hymn is one of my favorites, too. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mimi, I completely share these sentiments, and especially the Grandmother's Prayer:

    "And now that I am old and gray-headed,
    O God, do not forsake me, *
    till I make known your strength to this generation
    and your power to all who are to come."

    I wake up in the night wondering how I can convey to my grandchildren (and all others who are to come!) the great and loving strength of God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mary Clara, yes! I hope I convey something of my faith in God in what I do and what I say and showing my grandchildren that I love them.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.