Wednesday, June 13, 2012

BRAVO, FR BOB!


An openly gay priest on Sunday urged Catholics to go against the Pope's wishes and vote "no" a November ballot measure that would enshrine Minnesota's same sex marriage ban in the state's Constitution.
 Father Bob Pierson argued that Paragraph 1782 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church allows Catholics to make their own decisions in cases where their conscience is not in agreement with the church's doctrine.

The priest recalled that a "young theologian" named Joseph Ratzinger, who is now Pope, used to teach that people should follow their own inner voice
.
"Our Holy Father taught in 1967 that we must obey our own conscience, even if it puts us at odds with the Pope," Pierson told the crowd of about 200 Catholics at an event in the Minneapolis suburb of Edina. "I doubt that he knew that he was going to be Pope when he said that."
And it's a lovely thing to rebut the argument of one's opponents using the words of their big boss.

Thanks to Paul (A.)

6 comments:

  1. Amazing! Exciting. And courageous. I found myself applauding, while sitting at my computer alone in my apartment. Thank you for this sign of hope from within the priesthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roberta. Blogger is acting up by double posting comments and sometimes not posting them at all. Let's hope their techies fix the problem soon.

    I attended Roman Catholic schools for 16 years a long time ago, and I was always taught that after prayer, discernment, and due attention and consideration for the teachings of the church, in the end, I should follow my conscience.

    Fr Bob is indeed very brave. Although I am no longer a member of the church, I still care. I'm waiting for one bishop to break ranks and speak honestly and sensibly about the interference of the USCCB in political affairs that concern not only the members of their own flock but will affect many folks outside the flock. One bishop...I wait for one bishop to break ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He'll be floating face down in the Tiber soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Counterlight, I hope not. Perhaps the dear man will be punished merely by being deprived of his priestly faculties, as they say in Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent! Let's hope this trend continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whiteycat, yes, indeed. I want to see a RC bishop break ranks and come out in favor of folks making up their own consciences about how to vote. Even a retired bishop would do.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.