Tuesday, June 5, 2012

ME AND THE PALOMINO

Not Joyce - a palomino from the internet

My friend Georgianne posted pictures of her handsome palomino, Eddie, on Facebook, which reminded me that way back in the day, I had a boyfriend who owned horses.  I rode his beautiful palomino quarter horse named Joyce.  On our first ride on the West Bank of levee of the Mississippi River, Joyce sensed that I was uncertain and began to run up and down the levee...not straight ahead, but up and down the slope of the levee, which is rather steep in the vicinity of Gretna in Jefferson Parish.  I panicked, and my boyfriend had to ride to the rescue, just like in the westerns, and take the reins.  Picture me on the horse above, running up and down the levee.  I learned a good lesson from Joyce that day.  Take the reins, and at least act as though you're in charge.  Joyce was very well-trained; it was the rider who needed to learn.  I never became truly confident on a horse, which, as you know, is a large creature, as I always suspected the horse knew she/he had the upper hand - er - hoof.

My boyfriend rode Joyce in Mardi Gras parades with a group of members of a quarter horse club.  On occasion, she'd rear up on her hind legs in the excitement, giving the crowd a splendid display, but with my boyfriend praying that he could hang on, which he always did.  Joyce rode in quarter-mile races and participated in barrel races, calf roping, and other cowboy activities.  After the boyfriend and I broke up, I missed the Sunday afternoon rides and tried the horses at Audubon Park, but it was not the same, and I stopped riding.  Joyce spoiled me for rental horses.  When we traveled in the West, we sometimes took trail rides in the mountains, and, in addition to my worries about controlling the horse, there was the added worry that the horse would stumble and fall off the mountain trail. 

Remember Trigger, Roy Rogers' horse?  Palomino supreme.


9 comments:

  1. Grandmere --the thought of you on a horse makes me giggle --much less a running horse --much less a horse running up and down the levee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. margaret, it was not funny at the time, but from the distance of over 50 years, I see the humor. After I dismounted and caught my breath, my boyfriend told me to get back on the horse, because if I didn't, I would probably never ride again. I did what he told me, because I thought he was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear.... so many funny things to say to 'back in the saddle again' --but I won't say them!!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, margaret, you made me laugh. Say 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi..this is so great. I spent the day with "Eddie" (my dog is Cane) and this was great to come home to. Eddie is a Tennessee Walker who has had abuse in his life, but is slowly learning that all will be OK now that he has found a home with me. I am using the Parelli Method with him and it works like a charm. Eddie does not have one mean bone in his body, will not kick bite, or buck or rear, but is simply terrified. He is coming along great. See the woman I am working with, Nita Jo Rush on FB. Feel free to use his pic any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Georgianne. It was good of you to take Eddie and give him a home. How can people be cruel to horses or any other of God's creatures? I read Black Beauty when I was quite young, and I have never forgotten it. I could hardly bear to read the parts where he was treated cruelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trivia note: Trigger was originally the horse ridden by Maid Marion in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). Roy Rogers bought him afterwards and renamed him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul (A.), I did not know that. Thanks for the trivia on Trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. James, thanks for the invitation, but this post may be my only post on a palomino. I'm wondering what would be the point of linking my blog at your website.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.